Simple test

sknowles

<p>I only recently started my adventure in digital SLR's, and am learning the 5D to be an excellent camera

for my uses, along with the lenses I got (getting the rebate is another matter). Anyway, I decided to

perform a non-scientific test (so you scientific types be warned) about which feature more correctly

determines the most realistic color. It may seem intuitive or obvious to many but it was worth two rainy

afternoons work (and three sets of images, and even the third could obviously be better). The test is on

my <a href="http://www.wsrphoto.com/c5dblog08.html">5D blog</a>. While some of the results are

obvious, some were interesting in the variations from the different color balance. I'd be interested if you

have any suggestions for other tests, some on a list of curiousities with the camera, beside the obvious,

"So, why did you do that one in the first place?", or "What were you thinking?"

Hi Scott, Interesting test! You might want to check out the book "Skin" by Lee Varis in which he discusses his method for calibrating your digital capture - primarily to ensure accurate skin-tones. It was a realy eye-opener for me.

For example he suggests NOT using a Kodak 18 percent gray card "because it is not spectrally neutral". (I always wondered why I got wacky results using the gray eyedropper with Kodak gray cards!) He does suggest an alternative.

He also discusses "the deficiency (that is) inherent with Bayer pattern chips and has to do with the overlap in frequencies between red and green filters on the chip. Skin tones reside in this overlapping region, and it's almost impossible for demosaic algorithms to resolve the problem".

He spends an entire chapter on his method of calibrating your camera for ACR to produce accurate colors - which you'll not likely achieve with the canned presets/white-balance options in any camera.

While I have yet to try what he suggests (I just got the book) it's quite fascinating and he does a great job of explaining the process. Good luck!