I need a new desktop computer (old laptop died two days ago and was due for replacing anyway). I shoot

mainly weddings, also commercial and portraiture, and work in RAW initially. Whatever I buy has to be

very fast and as headache free as possible, and on my desk in the next couple of days.

My budget it ᆪ1,200, or thereabouts.

I'm looking at either a Powerbook G5 dual core 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB hard drive, with a non-mac

monitor (can't afford an Apple one)...

Or, a custom-built PC.

My laptop was a PC and I get on reasonably with Windows, except for all the viruses and spywear, but then

my firewall wasn't as good as it should have been. I'll certainly invest in that if I go the PC route. I also

use my husband's mac, so I'm used to their system too.

A possible consideration is the new Mac Intel Core. I've read conflicting reports but the consensus seems

to be that it's not the beast for Photoshop, yet. If anyone knows differently, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sorry Lindsay by XP box I meant a PC running windows XP.

Apple are currently moving towards machines built around Intel processors, hence the reason for not buying a G5 unless it's for the short term. The latest Intel based Macs would also allow you to use both Apple and XP operating systems and applications.

Very often, people want speed an they don't consider hard drive read/write performance in the speed equation.

I was considering a Mac but chose a Dell because they offered systems preconfigured with RAID 0 drives.

I commonly open sixteen 64MB tif files AT ONCE, to enhance them, closing each as I go. The RAID 0 performance is fantastic compared to single drive ATA 7200rpm.

Raid 0 splits each file across 2 drives. So each drive reads/writes at the same time.

This dual core Dell with 2GB RAM and 2 250GB RAID drives (for a total storage of 500GB) is a screamer! I'm not sure if Mac is selling systems with RAID drives but at my last check, they were not.

<I>I'm not sure if Mac is selling systems with RAID drives but at my last check, they were

not.</I><P>Macintosh OSX has had RAID capabilities since day one. Just order/buy a

second hard drive and with three clicks in Disk Utility you have RAID 1, RAID 0 or

Concatenated RAID. This is one of the reasons Macintosh is the choice of professional

photographers, graphic artists and desktop publishers. BTW, Microsoft's Graphic Division is

90% Macintosh, Billy is no fool.<P>Macintosh Intel is NOT Photoshop native yet but will be

the first of next year. Spyware/virus/malware is reason enough not to use Windows.

Without going into lengthy debate of the virtues of PC or Mac, I think it's YOUR

CALL..because you already familiar with a Mac (and know hoe to use it).

As it now PS is not native on Mac w.Intel processor yet, so you will be OK on either PC or

Mac. As for viruses and security issues if you're comfortable to live with them then it's not

an issue anymore. Your budget is a bit short, you will need a bit more $$ for ram and

hardrive. Keep in mind that a desktop is easier (and cheaper) to upgrade (and add

hardware) than a laptop.

When I bought my new systems two months ago, I went Power Macintosh G5, 2G dual

core, 3G RAM, 500G drive, 250G scratch drive, and 23" Cinema display. The performance

with Photoshop CS2 is terrific, I have no doubts that it will provide 4-5 years of excellent

service with no problems whatever for my photography business. Even if nothing on it

were to be changed from how it is configured now, it would easily return the productivity

and value for dollar I need.

All of my software from my prior iMac G4 works with no additional cost associated. That

alone saved me several hundred dollars.

The Apple monitor is expensive and was a bit of a stretch, but it's very high quality and

will last.

Godfrey

The nice thing about PC's is you can keep changing the insides as your needs grow and technology changes. For $1200 you can get into a really decent dual core PC with 2gb's of ram, and a 400 gb hard drive. If you watch the sales on monitors, again you can get a pretty good deal for under $200.

<I>Spyware/virus/malware is reason enough not to use Windows.</i><P>Apple users too damn ignorant to use XP without their web browser having full admin rights is enough for me to stay away from Apple, and given the latest round of security exploits Apple had to patch I'm glad I did. No offense, but are you Apple heads actually capable of going to the bathroom without Steve Jobes giving you instructions? <P><I>but then my firewall wasn't as good as it should have been</i><P>Again, if you want to stop this crap, then STOP surfing the net with admin rights. Create an account on your computer WITHOUT being a member of the admin group, and crapware like this ceases to be a threat. Firewalls won't defend against this junk anyway.<P>Until we see the next round of Apples running on Intel Conroe processors at around 2.6+ghz, and actually running Photoshop native, the current Core Duo's are not the platform for growth regardless of what the marketing dept at Apple says. <P>Pretty much everybody on the Windows/Linux side are turning their noses up at Intel until Conroe hits the street and finally gives Intel an edge up over AMD. Until then, the "beast" right now for Photoshop is a dual processor Apple G5 and not the Core Duo.

It's funny, really. I use photoshop on two Pentium P4's (2.8 Ghz), with 1 Gig of Ram, a Dell Laptop (Pentiumd M 1.7Ghz) with 1 Gig of Ram, and... A Mac mini G4 (1.42Ghz) with 1 Gig of Ram. The Mini trashes all the PCs. If I were you, I'd get the new iMac 17", and upgrade its memory.

<i>"Again, if you want to stop this crap, then STOP surfing the net with admin rights. Create an account on your computer WITHOUT being a member of the admin group, and crapware like this ceases to be a threat. Firewalls won't defend against this junk anyway."</i> - Scott, if you want a demo, I can easily show you how malware (through iexplorer and any user, even 'Guest') can compromise any XP security. I write security software for a living.

Thanks everyone. Looks like I've got a lot to think over still! Just to clear up some confusion

over my budget; I'm over in England, so the budget's pounds not dollars. I typed in a pound

sign and for some odd reason it came up as a question mark. I was using... a mac.

Another question - mac users this time. The video link Vladimir put up raises some issues

I've experienced using my husbands mac: things like programs shutting down randomly even

though the system keeps running, and files vanishing when you try to rename things, etc. Are

there easy ways to avoid this? Are there issues with getting a non-mac monitor to calibrate

well?

Thanks again.

I won't touch the Mac vs PC argument, there's too much I don't know. I can only say after

nearly 20 years of Unix workstations and servers (gov't), they gave me a PC (Dell) for my

last two years which I used as an interface to the Unix servers and the few stuff with MS

they required (not mail thankfully). Since I retired late last year I bought a G5 (I'm not

aware they make a Powerbook G5, they're all G4's), mid-processor but full memory with

CS2 and stuff, and a 23" cinema monitor. I can't say enough how easy and well it works,

and I can focus on the real work and self-created problems of photography (like learning

color profiles, printing, etc.) than learning a computer.

In the two years I had the PC the hard drive crashed once requiring a new one and a

reinstallation of everything except lost stuff, and frequent upgrades for security, patches,

software, etc., and after many of those I had spent hours putting everything back to where

I was, it didn't always remember the user settings and preferences. And I hated having to

remember it doesn't work like a person. Many people like PC's because they adapted to

them. At least Unix lets you set things and preferences once you learned the files and

commands, and they're not lost after system work.

I'm like the other guy who bought the Mac, I expect this to work for at least a few years

with little or no frequent upgrades or maintenance, and I get Mac's support under their

ProCare plan. Good luck.

<p><i>Another question - mac users this time. The video link Vladimir put up raises some issues I've experienced using my husbands mac: things like programs shutting down randomly even though the system keeps running, and files vanishing when you try to rename things, etc. Are there easy ways to avoid this? Are there issues with getting a non-mac monitor to calibrate well? Thanks again.</i>

</p><p>

the video is just an inane rant that will have little resemblance to the experience of the vast majority of users, the same type of video could be made about windows and lots of other software, and would be just as irrelevant when it comes to making a rational decision

</p><p>

my first advice is to ignore the bigots and trolls on both sides of the windows vs. mac argument

</p><p>

i currently use, in alphabetical order, mac osx, solaris, and windows xp, and have done for years (with lots of other systems along the way), so i'm fairly pragmatic about it, and they all annoy me at times

</p><p>

osx vs. xp is really a matter of personal preference, imho the apple approach is cleaner/simpler for non-technical users, but once you are experienced both have their pros/cons

</p><p>

the new intel-based macs are fast, the lack of native versions of many applications may be off-putting but will change, adobe has said it will have released creative suite on intel mac by around this time next year

</p><p>

for graphics/photo work i use a mac, but if you already use windows, have a lot of windows software, and are happy using windows, then you may as well stick with windows

</p><p>

unprotected xp systems are horribly vulnerable, but if you install (and maintain) appropriate security software and use an external firewall they are ok, mac osx still seems to have escaped any successful large-scale exploits but the day will probably come, so it too is best used correctly and behind a firewall

</p><p>

you say you want a desktop...

</p><p>

the powermac g5 range is coming to an end, apple will replace it with an intel-based range, short term this doesn't matter, but longer term this leaves you on a platform that many developers are no longer interested in, there will be support for some time, but the focus will swing more and more to the new architecture

</p><p>

personally if i were choosing my first mac, i wouldn't buy a g5 now

</p><p>

imac...

</p><p>

if you want to go the mac route then consider the intel-based imac, have a look at one in person to see if you like the screen (viewing angle etc.), these are nice and compact

</p><p>

www.refurb.cancomuk.com is advertising refurb 20" imacs that, including 3-year warranty, fit your budget, but you'll need to get more memory as they come with only 512mb, if you can afford it get the full 2gb (from crucial or kingston, apple's memory is way too expensive). these units are probably warranty returns that have been serviced but no longer count as 'new'

</p><p>

you can also run xp on the imac, the apple software ('boot camp') to enable this is still a beta version, and there is still a lack of some hardware drivers in xp from what i hear, but this will surely improve

</p><p>

whether the imac will be fast enough for *you* running ps under emulation i don't know, you could try posting in places like the adobe ps mac forum to get a larger audience, say what size files you use, typical workflow, etc.

</p><p>

summary...

</p><p>

if you are happy with windows, if you like the way it works, and don't need/plan to use mac-only tools such as aperture, then i don't think it makes much sense for you

to switch to a mac

</p><p>

if you fancy osx, but want to be able to run xp too, then try the

intel-based imac</p><p>

sorry, i cut, then forgot to paste back, the answers to...

<p><i>...programs shutting down randomly even though the system keeps running, and files vanishing when you try to rename things, etc. Are there easy ways to avoid this?</i></p>

<p>an application unexpectedly exiting is a problem on both windows and macs, it is far more likely to be the application's fault than the os's, if it is happening consistently then whatever the os i'd wonder if there was a hardware problem (especially memory) or corrupted/incorrect appplication/system configuration</p>

<p>the operating system should not be affected by an application crashing, so having it carry on running is a *good* sign</p>

<p>

the vanishing file thing beats me, i've never had that happen in over 5 years of mac use, nor in windows for that matter

</p>

<p><i>Are there issues with getting a non-mac monitor to calibrate well? Thanks again.</i></p>

<p>apple/non-apple, there's no difference in the calibration process</p>

Re <I>the vanishing file thing beats me, i've never had that happen in over 5 years of mac use, nor in windows for that matter</i><BR><BR>Once at one disc drive company, we had one model of disc drive have "vanishing files" in the field. The units had a bad batch of recording heads, the pole tips on the sliders were rotting slowly away, due to contamination of the one wayer fab process. Whats cool is that both PC's and Macs had failures, files that could'nt be read with time, as the read margin dropped and made the older files less recoverable.

Typically, Scott raises the argument about admin rights while browsing and Yaron debunks

it.. Generally speaking, they're both pretty good. I use an iMac G5 and I really like it I don't

have to fuss with the computer at all, minimal maintenance easily done. Don't have to worry

about de-fragmenting, viri etc. A 2.0 dual Powermac would be fantastic as would probably

one of the new PC's. However given your price point, can you get a dual G5 for $1200? The

one thing that is true is that PC's are less expensive in upfront cost than Apple.

Interesting information about the state of Mac viruses...

Macs and Viruses: Fact vs. FUD Myths 1-3: http://www.mac360.com/index.php/mac360/

comments/part_1_macs_and_viruses_fact_vs_fud/

Macs and Viruses: Facts vs. FUD Myths 4-5: http://www.mac360.com/index.php/

mac360/comments/part_2_macs_and_viruses_fact_vs_fud/

Have you considered one of the new MacBooks? If you don't need a DVD burner the base

model can be had at Amazon for $1000 after a rebate. Getting it by your deadline might

be a problem... A MacBook with a Super Drive will set you back $1300 (full retail price.)