Cell Phone Camera Forum

mottershead

I think we'd be better served by the "alternative camera" forum that we've discussed in the past.

It would cover Holgas, Dianas, Pinhole cameras, toy cameras and, I guess, cellphone cameras would fit in too.

I've been on the verge of creating it for a while now and was hoping we might see a section of the gallery specifically for "alternative" cameras.

Ten years ago the average Joe could only afford a Casio digital; almost the only game in town; accept the Apple camera. Many of these type cameras were in normal mode about 240x320; and fine mode VGA; ie 480x640. A decent pro digital might have been 1.3 megapixel; and cost as much as a car. <BR><BR>Now matter how good cell phone cameras become; some folks will dis them. That is how digitals were a decade ago. These folks are stuck in a time warp; heads in the sand; scared.<BR><BR> In blind tests of posters and images at our shop; folks will rate a cell image lower; If they know it is a cell cam image first. Maybe it is just the James Bond spy thing fear of the future. There is alot of bias against sell cameras; there is no computer; no lab; one can email an image while on a business trip; of a broke down part during a repair job. Here there is no artsy fartsy printing; or judges; one just uses the tool to quickly define the part on a down machine. Cell cameras are the largest growth rate area in digital imaging. In the latest high end cameras; there is this bias or comments that the "images are faked; or cannot be a cell cam image". Some images I have seen seem faked; because they are WAY diffent than the same model phone I was testing.<BR><BR>A Cell Phone Camera Forum might be intersting..

I like Bob's idea of an "alternative" camera section in the gallery. Is there really enough to talk about for a cell phone camera forum? Dunno. I'm waiting for Canon to come out with the DSLR with a built in cell phone. An "L" series cell phone, of course.

They are a fact of life I suppose but I am already dreading another load of merit-less images - there are enough of those already.

If we have to accommodate them (and I suppose we must) then an "alternative" forum would be good - at least I will know where to avoid !

I recently had a show and was sharing the gallery with a CPC exhibition. I was blown away by the quality of so many of the shots. I couldn't imagine capturing the types of images I saw with a little P&S like that. There is a growing group in the outsider community that is really latching onto it. I think it would be interesting.

Brian, I think that this is a great idea, and I am a little saddened by the people above who say that it is a waste of time, and that they are not even cameras! - Perhaps, for some people, nothing less than a Nikon F5, or an Eos1DII, could be considered a camera. If this is an idea, it would be easy enough to belittle them in a similar way by saying nothing less than my Hassleblad constitutes a real camera! This smacks of elitism, and its not fair!

I am a great fan of the expressive artistry of my Lomo Camera, and I like the results from the plastic lens of the Holga, oh and then there are the pin hole images!

I equate phone cameras in this group, and would welcome a forum to display these images without having to deal with misunderstandings and snobbery! It would remove the anoying advice similar to that given to pinhole camera users, about their images being "out of focus"!

I vote yes, and would contribute!

Regards, Nick.

Not for me but I imagine for some photogs the cell phone cam will be the camera they take with them everywhere without exception so lets have it. It does sadden me to see so many families documenting their entire kids growing up on nothing better than this technology. Arguably their kids sure won't have a high quality record of their childhood. (I did say arguably!)

Yes! Let's have that alternative forum. And let's also remember that William Henry Fox-Tolbot's first experiments with photogenic drawings in the 1830's would be clasified as alternative. What he started seems to have become moderately mainstream.

P

We need more low quality snapshots on this site to balance out the high number of low quality snapshots that we already have here. So I say yes to the Low Quality Snapshot Cellphone Camera Forum. Regards.

Walter,

Who is to judge quality?

What is a snapshot?

What is wrong with a variety of themes, styles and "quality" of photographs on this site?

Is this a site for all, or is it for the self-appointed elite?

Who are we kidding? - we are all amatures here, even those of us who are professional!

Nick.