Concert shoot

sukumaran_r

In more than 95% of cases, concerts/stage shows these days do not allow flash

photography. I have a Nikon D2H and I am getting used to the

controls/techniques...What would be the ideal lense that I should use.I have a

Nikkor 12-24 mm ultrawide and 18-70 mm kit lens..Await expert advice from

talented friends.

A much longer and faster lens. It really depends where you are shooting from. I generally shoot from the rear of the audience using a Canon 1.6 crop body with an 80-200 f2.8L lens. I am shooting at iso 800 and f2.8 - f4 on a tripod. If I though I could get acceptable photos at iso 1600 I would. The stage lighting can be very challengeing. The middle of the stage may be lit many stops brighter than 10' to the side. You may not be able to get a good photo including both areas.

At 200 mm, I can capture 1-2 performers. At 80mm, coverage is about 75% of the stage. You will most likely not be able to change your location during the performance. A zoom lets you change perspective with out moving. I have used my Sigma 12-24 to take flash shots of the whole theater from a balcony. It's too slow a lens to use with out a flash at concert/stage shows.

The 2 lenses that you mentioned are not appropriate for low light, no flash photography.

As inexpensive as it can get, you could use 50/1.8 Nikkor, but there are better suitable lenses for that, like 28/1.4, 50/1.4, 85/1.4, 135/2.0, or even 70-200/2.8 VR lens.

Do a search for Loren Eidahl's posts about concert photography here on the Nikon Forum. He does this professionally.

Jeff Spirer and others have also written some very helpful info about concert photography on various forums.

Years ago I did a lot of concert photography. I'm not sure how well I could handle it now because I'm not very steady with offhand shooting and few venues permit tripods or monopods, which might hinder the photographer as well.

Basically, you'll need fast lenses. Anything slower than an f/2.8 will be useless. Since the D2H is fully functional with AI and AI-S Nikkors you might consider saving some money buying the fastest manual focus lenses you can afford instead of mediocre or slow autofocus lenses.

As an example, yesterday I photographed an indoor high school graduation commencement ceremony. The auditorium was fully illuminated but the lighting was so poor that the best I could do with a handheld 300mm f/4.5 AI Nikkor on my D2H was around 1/250th second at f/4.5 at the Hi-1 ("ISO 3200") and Hi-2 ("ISO 6400") settings. Since I couldn't use a tripod or monopod in my location I had to rely on makeshift supports, such as railings or chair backs. My hands are pretty shaky so about 25% of my shots were blurry.

To sum up, I'd have to say that any telephoto or telezoom slower than f/2.8 isn't very useful for indoor events. A 180/2.8 is reasonably affordable, an 80-200/2.8 can be fairly affordable and the 70-200/2.8 VR is pretty expensive. The faster teles, such as the 200/2, are far more expensive, usually at least double the price of the next lens down the list.

I got my best shots up close with a 35-70/2.8D AF Nikkor at f/2.8 with available light and f/4 to f/5.6 with flash. I wish I'd taken my 85/2 AI-S Nikkor and really wish I could afford an 85/1.4D AF Nikkor.

I'll probably thin out my herd of slower manual and autofocus lenses in favor of fewer but much faster lenses, even if it means giving up autofocus. For example, my fastest 50mm Nikkor is an f/2. It's a great lens optically but just won't cut it with some available light photography. There's no autofocus 50/1.2 Nikkor so I'll have to manage with manual focus, which won't be difficult with any of my Nikon bodies since they all have bright viewfinders.

In my opinion, by not using a flash it creates more dramatic effects anyway so these restrictions are not necessarily an issue. I typically will use manual focus (even with my af lenses). Maximum ISO 800. I typically use an 85mm 2.0, a 105mm 2.5 prime or a 35 - 70mm 2.8 af zoom. At times I'll also use an 80 to 200 2.8 zoom if I can't get that close All lenses are nikkors. I use a D-100 and somtimes an F4.Problems your encountering I'm sure are getting clear and sharp shots in low light due to slow shutter speeds, changing light conditions with stage lighting, shallow depth of field due to open leneses. The best advise I can tell you and what seemed to work for me was to get the fastest lenses you can afford and don't rely heavily on the automatic controls of the camera. I typically use manual focus and manually adjust my exposure. It gives me better control and typically a better product. Hope that helps! Don't rule out AI and AIS primes. They are inexpensive and very good quality.

Sukumaran,

Have you not read the advise given to you? f4.5-f5.6 Is way too slow.

My favorite lens for concert photography is the 85mm f1.4D, I always try to blag a spot to use it. If I need more reach I reluctantly use my 80-200 f2.8. The 200mm f2 would be perfect but I can not justify the expense. I also carry my 50mm f1.4 but do not often get the position to use it.

As you have the D200 if cost is an issue, look at some of the old Fast Glass. Manual focus lenses can be purchased for relatively little cost.