Canon Film Rebel with Canon 70-200 F2.8 L IS USM EF

mc_nguyen

Hello,

I was thinking of using for weddings my Canon Film Rebel camera which has an aluminum body with the

heavy Canon 70-200 F2.8 L IS USM EF. I haven't tried shooting the Rebel with a heavy lens and my concern

is that it won't be able to support this lens, as the Rebel body is light and made of aluminum. Does anyone

have experience with this?

I will be also changing lenses frequently during weddings, from zoom to wide-angle. I hope the body is up

to it.

Thanks!

MC

Of course the body's up to being mounted on a 70-200/2.8, just as larger bodies are up to being mounted on mammoth telephoto lenses.

The secret, of course, is to always bear the weight of the outfit by cradling the lens in your left hand (i.e., from underneath, not above) and not by merely gripping the two ends of the camera body and letting the lens hang out there.

Your left hand does all of the heavy work; the right hand is only for steering the camera in one direction or another and for pushing buttons.

I concur with Ralph, the best way to hold a camera is with the left hand and not the right, from underneath, with the weight of the camera (or the lens, in the case of longer, heavier lenses), resting in your left palm. Most of those longer lenses put the zoom and focal rings far enough out on the lens so that when you grip them, you generally have a good weight balance and aren't risking damage to the lens mount, even if you've got a heavy lens.

This also allows you to shoot comfortably longer, since you aren't having to squeeze the camera with your right hand to support it. I'm left-handed, so shooting like this sort of came naturally to me.

For weddings, you will need 2 cameras. If you miss a shot, are you going to tell the bride "Sorry, I was changing lenses."? Also, what kind of flash system will you be working with? Do you also have a 24-70 2.8L, or a fast prime in this range? Sorry to be asking so many questions, its just that I have never heard of a person shooting a wedding with one beginner film camera as their main equipment. Good luck.