Canon EF 28-135 IS USM or Tamron 28-75 f/2.8?

delwyn_ching

Did a search but no comparison between the two lenses. I just

returned a borrowed 28-135 IS which I had for about a year and loved

it. Just tried the Tamron 28-75 in a camera shop and fell in love

with it, esp the f/2.8. Which would be a better lens for

traveling? I take tourist stuff with my wife in it, scenes, etc. I

have a 50 f/1.4 for portrait work so don't need that and can't

afford the 24-70L or the 17-40L. Bob Atkins recommends the 28-135

as a good all-around single lens. What you guys think,I so

confused, help me decide please. Thanks in advance.

He answers your question...

http://bobatkins.photo.net/photography/reviews/tamron_28_75.html

Compared with the Canon 28-135/3.5-5.6 IS ($400) at the same f-stop, the Tamron is sharper and more resistant to flare, though of course the zoom range is less and it doesn't have IS. However the Tamron performs well with a Tamron 1.4x TC when zoomed to 75mm, especially when stopped down 1 stop, and so makes a very good 105/5.6 lens.

Overall I have no hesitation in recommending the Tamron SP AF28-75/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro to anyone looking for a fast lens with this zoom range. The fact that it comes with a standard 6 year warranty is an added bonus.

As you have experience with the 28-135mm you will know if the range between 70 and 135mm is essential for you or not. Or did you frequently miss the f:2.8 ? The Tamron (if you get a good one) is optically better - but stopped down you will not see much difference. The IS helps to use the 28-135mm stopped down. If you mostly shoot wide open the Tamron will be the winner.

I think the decision mainly depends on usefulness - more reach or more speed ?

Ulrich

Well I've got a similar problem in terms of slimming down a lens. I got a Sigma 28-70mm DX with constant 2.8 max aperture and I love it. Solid, smooth, sharp etc. Bought it for a song. Then came across a 28-135mm IS USM and could not resist it either! And that is wonderful too, and myself I do not have a fault with its resolution or contrast.

The trouble is the 28-135 is such a good all-rounder that it is tempting to go out with just that. I do have a separate 135mm soft focus 2.8 Canon lens, and I am in love with that both sharp and soft. So one possibility is to go out with the Sigma and the 135, the other is to major on the IS lens. I will certainly never part with the 135 SF which is a worthy replacement for an ancient manual focus Tamron 70-150 soft focus zoom (more flexible, but for manual focus Canon and weighed a ton!)

I suspect, if forced, I'd sell the Sigma 28-70 simply on usage. Over the past few years I've changed from a manual focus T90 outfit to an autofocus 'EOS 5' based kit (thankyou Mr. eBay, and no I don't want to go digital just yet!) I've tended to over-buy, try out, then sell the gear that didnt really do it for me. Trouble is in both camera bodies and lenses I've slimmed to the point where it is really hard to go further! I guess when creditors come knocking at the door I can throw them some equipment!

Cheers Jim

There is a small problem with Tamron 28-75/2.8 XR Di - the wide end becomes almost 50mm...around 46... so you loose on the wide side.

I guess it's not a big loss..

But what about Sigma 18-125/3.5-5.6 IF DC ? ($290)

According to many people's reviews, it's a very sharp lens.

Maybe this can be a better choice as a "walkaround" ?