the picture through the rollers).

The problem is that the salesperson convinced me that I could do

projection printing onto 669 film and so I bought some. I have no

camera or Daylab that can hold 669 to break the chemical pods and

start developing?

Once I expose on 669 film, can I try to manually break the chemical

pods on the polaroid to start developing? The camera shop won't

refund the 669 film (pack of 20 exposures, cost a lot). Could 600 or

Spectra films work for projection printing from slides?

Hi Nico

You cannot manually develop 669 pack film, only the rollers contained within a camera

back or Daylab/Vivitar slide printer will do this. There's also a big difference between SX70

and 669 manipulations. The Polaroid web site has quite a lot of information on both

techniques. I suggest you look for a cheap Vivitar slide printer on ebay which will take the

669 pack film and keep searching for some SX70 film for use with the enlarger. Both

techniques can create stunning images. Good luck.

Paul

I'm ignorant of the details so I'll ask: What's so special about the rollers in a daylab? Wouldn't an ordinary laminate roller from Home Depot and a hard surface do the same thing?

If you're not familiar with a laminate roller, it's a hard rubber roller that's used to smooth down laminate (e.g. Formica) on a counter top during the gluing process. They're very sturdy, as one usually bears down on them about 100 pounds worth.

Ultimately there is no reason not to try a hard roller/brayer but I'm almost certain that it will

not spread the chemicals evenly. You must also be aware that the developer is quite caustic

and can irritate or even burn the skin if exposed to it. Using the internal rollers elimintaes

some of this risk. I also forgot to mention that www.kathleencarr.com is also a very good for

gaining an insight into Polaroid manipulations.

Paul

You can pick up a camera that uses pack film at a yardsale or flea market for a few bucks, and not only will you have a properly made set of rollers, but also probably a great useable camera. Just pop open the back and make sure the rollers turn freely and aren't rusted or gummed up with developer goo. By the way, Polaroid recommended cleaning the rollers after every pack of film, and that's still an excellent suggestion.

For a user camera, I like the 250. It has a nice glass lens plus a Zeiss-Ikon combined viewfinder and rangefinder coupled to the lens and that folds down into the body when not in use. For your purposes, even one of the rangefinderless plastic lens one will work, but I'd suggest buying a nicer one if you can find it. Even a 250 should be less than $10.

• 1 year later...