lensbabie

anna_nielsen

hi im interestet in a lensbabie 2.0 canonfit. As i understand it

dosent have any electronic communication with the camera. I can set

my apature but how do i know the speed. Is it lucky strike each time

i expose or do i have to use a handheld meter each time - i cant

figure out how this works -can anyone explain me this before a

possible buy. thanks in advice

Canon EOS bodies support manual lens metering (for lens like the lensbaby). Set the camera to AV mode. Set the aperture at the lens and let the camera set the shutter speed for you. With shift & tilt lens (which is what lensbaby is) you need to lock the metering (or meter with M-mode) before apply tilting. You also can use the camera's explosure compensation if you don't lock meter or use M mode.

"why one should meter before aplying tilt/shift movements"

My "guess" is that it may have something to do with the angle of light hiting the mirror and going through the focus screen (the meter is behind the focus screen). Less light some how reach the meter sensor when the lens is tilted/shifted. With my Canon Tilt-shift, I am seeing up to 0-1.5 stop or so over (less light reach sensor) depending on the shift tilt angle & aperture.

If you're shooting digital, just rack off a couple of shots to work out where exposure should be - you should be able to see the exposure in the LCD or histogram when you have it correct. For film, things are a little more interesting.

Tommy is right on as far as canons that support manual exposure. Otherwise, hand meter it, or if worse comes to worse, there's old sunny-16.