Photoflex light panel connectors

Hello,

I am currently putting together some PVC lighting frames based on the

Tinker Tubes PDF I found on the internet. I am wondering if anyone

has experience with the Photoflex light panels and knows whether or

not the clips that connect two pvc frames together will work on

standard PVC and if so, what size they work on.

I have some concerns about the strength of a clip that is two pvc

pipes glued back to back with pvc cement.

Those clips are pretty strong. PVC pipes as frames work fairly well in the studio but they will bend outside in the breeze. If you're really concerned about the strength of your scrim frames, look for scrims with aluminum frames such as those made by Lastolite, Scrim Jim, etc. Do a google search.

Many years ago, and were talking 1980's, Dean Collins came out with a system which utilizes Light panels. He even showed you how and what materials you need to construct them. If you can fine his "Finelight Series" you will have a great source of information on lighting and building some fabulous equipment. I've built them in my pro career and have found them to be the best around.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Dean Collin's answer to PVC tubing bending in the breeze is to insert 1/2" EMT into the PVC. This is the metal tubing used by electricians and can be purchased in the same stores that carry the PVC. This makes it very rigid and is nearly as cheap as the PVC itself.

Doing a web search, you can still find sites that have Dean Collin's Finelight Tinker Tube instructions and illustrations on .pdf files.

I sure miss that guy. He was such an incredible teacher and photographer.