Epson 3800 issues

After three days of wrestling with this beast I've finally gotten some decent

b/w output. However, I now have an entirely different issue. An image which

displays on my monitor with moire and printed perfectly on my 2200 with no

moire, now shows moire when printed with the 3800! How can this be? I am using

the same paper - Crane Museo Silver Rag - as with the 2200. Anyone got any

ideas as to the cause?

Thanks for all replies.

Hi John, This is just a guess but perhaps the 3800 is more accurately depicting what's on your display and thus duplicating the moire' whereas the 2200 did not. Perhaps this is due to the improved printhead of the 3800 or better profiles - I'm not sure.

I also own both printers and the 3800 (to my eye) produces a much more accurate representation of what's on my display than did my 2200.

I understand "printer frustration" as much as anybody but on the other hand it's hard to fault a printer that's producing the same output you're seeing on your screen. Perhaps you could play with some of the blur filters and blending modes in Photoshop to get rid of or reduce the moire' on your screen so it's not reproduced by your 3800. Good luck!

I select, set selection for a sensible feathering, and then 'create a layer from selection'. Then

you can do the blur required and blend it with the original at whatever opacity value does the

job on the fly, and still have access to the original data by hiding the layer if need be.

Mostly an equivalent action, the only important difference being to feather for edge blending.

Godfrey