How to shoot straight to a harddrive?

WiFi transmitter and receiver set

there is also an option to store on your belt a clipOn

transmitter so that if there is corrupted file in

transmission, you would have them on your belt.

Belt is a harddisk cum transmitter

Last i read, its in the region of U$8,500 for the set

Your CF card is similar to a hardrive. Give your assistant a CF card reader that plugs into the USB port of his/her computer. After taking photos you can then simply give the assistant the CF card out of your 300D. Buy at least one spare CF card. That way you can continuously rotate CF cards.

@Tommy: $8,500 is the cheap way? Makes my curious what the expensive one is ;-)

@ Jim: Yes, flipping cards is what i do now. The feedback is usually 40 shots late ;-)

@ Giampi: If i understood the article correctly, the camera needs te be set at playback mode, effectively bringing the shoot to a halt. Hardly an improvement over the flipping of CF-cards.

I dont have a 300d but I wonder is it possible to tether your camera to the pc via a usb cable. Then treat the camera memory as usb attached storage i.e treat the camera as an "new volume" within windows. You could then set your image browser (one in paint shop pro or photoshop)to look at this new volume whilst you are using the camera?

I guess this would only work if- when you plug in your camera to your pc (via usb) windows recognises the camera as a storage device (rather than requiring canon software to talk to the camera)

steve

Yes, you can shoot tethered via USB, where every shot is automatically downloaded to the PC. I tried it when I first got my 300D a few years ago. The software comes bundled with the camera.

The biggest problem, is that the 300D's USB connection is rather slow.

You can use your Canon software to operate the 300D in tethered mode, but it's so slow as to be unusable. The USB 1.0 connection takes 45-60 seconds to transfer a picture after the shot, during which the camera isn't available. Not a good option in my opinion.

<Chas>

I have a 5D, the Canon remote capture software via the usb cable worked for me. I wonder if there is a simple wireless usb adpater to just relace the usb cable. The canon wireless solution is too expensive for me at around $1500 Australian.

The problem with wireless USB adapters is two fold. Wireless network and bluetooth adapters require software to enable network identification and authentication. Imagine being in a public place with dozens of wireless networks, you obviously want to be on the right one so you get your pictures. You also want security so no one can 'steal' your pictures.

The USB adapter on most digital cameras isn't a live connection that just automatically 'writes' data out every time a picture is taken. Again, software is needed to be told to do that. The wireless adapter canon makes is $1000 and only works with 20D, 5D, and 1D? (possibly 30D but I don't know). That tells me that firmware is written to support the necessary features of wireless networking like where to store files, login, WEP/WPA security, etc.

It's not a bad idea to try a wireless usb adapter but getting it to mate up with the on camera usb port will be challenging, encouraging it to log in and authenticate to the network when you don't have a prompt or input anywhere on camera well good luck. Stick with the shoot & flip method - least expensive, most effective.

• 1 year later...