problem with my m6 ttl

Hello everybody, first I would like to thank everybody on the great advice that you have

given me in the past when I was having problems with my leica m6ttl...I am in Milan right

now, working on a project and I just noticed that the top part of my leica m6 ttl has some

play in it. This is going to be hard to describe, but I will try my best, the side with the

rewind knob, viewfinder window etc... has some slight movement in the up and down

direction. When I push down on the top of my camera, it moves down, when I take my

finger off of it, it moves back up, when I push down on the other side (film advance lever,

shutter release, film counter etc...), nothing happens, i.e, no movement, only the

viewfinder, rewind knob side of the camera has this strange movement in it. I plan on

sending it to Sherry Krauter to get it looked at, along with a CLA, but my question is, has

anybody else experienced this kind of "problem". The camera still functions, but I plan on

going to Iran soon and would like to get everything checked out. I am aware that there are

people here in Europe that can repair my camera, but I get 75% off of Fed Ex and I have

worked with Sherry in the past, so I plan on sending it to her, another quick question, is

there some sort of customs tax that I will have to pay for sending my camera out of

Europe or getting it sent back here.....Thanks again, michael bialecki.......BTW, here is a

photo from my Kolkata rickshaw project that I took in October 2005<div>00GKY8-29843884.jpg.72dd700dea71f0699f5c48b0c5204862.jpg</div>

"is there some sort of customs tax that I will have to pay for sending my camera out of Europe or getting it sent back here...."

Michael, No tax while sending it out but there will be when you get it back. You will have to show proof that it was repaired in the US and how much it cost for the service. There may/maynot be duty on that.

If you are using FEDEX, they will clear the customs quickly and deliver it first to you. They may charge the duties/customs, etc fees later.

You could give them (in Milan) a call, explaining your case very clearly.

Lovely capture, BTW!

OK, I am going to try to describe the noise the best that I can, when I push on the top of the

camera (the side with the viewfinder, rewind knob) it makes a sound very similar to when the

ASA dial is pushed in, actually, I think the dial is silent, but when the dial is pushed in the

whole back door moves in just a little bit, well the sound that that makes is just like the one

that I am experiencing with the top part of my camera....I have no idea how this happened, it

seems odd that it just came loose....I have been on some long train rides and some bumpy

airplanes in the last two weeks but I doubt that it caused this....Has anyone else experienced

this before....BTW, thanks Piotr and Ollie, that was funny and it gave me a much needed

laugh.....Thanks Vivek, good to hear from you again....michael bialecki

Hi Michael,

nice photo, wish I had international assignments...

My M7 (identical internal body construction as your M6) showed this behaviour some time

ago. It grew worse with time and started sucking in more and more dust. So I brought it to

my repair man and he fixed it in 5 minutes!

If I were you, I'd send it to Leica Solms, Germany, stating that you need it back by then-

and-then. I'm sure they'll manage to fix it fast. If they tell you, it'll take weeks because

they are so busy, send it to Leica, Nidau, Switzerland, they ARE fast.

Good luck in Iran! Peter

The rewind shaft, surrounded by a threaded tube, protrudes through a hole in the top plate. Two nuts, one below and one above, sandwich the top plate and hold it in place. The lower nut acts as a stop for the top plate so it has to be in the right position before the upper nut is tightened. It would be a no-brainer DIY (loosen tiny phillips screw at side of rewind shaft about 1 turn, hold rewind fork from inside while unscrewing and removing rewind knob and shims/spring washer, tighten nut, replace everything in reverse) except that the nut is flat and has two unbelievably shallow slots that require a spanner. The slots are so shallow that it is very hard to tighten the nut without slipping and ruining the slots for future tightening. So you could do this yourself but if you're about to send it to Sherry anyway, why bother?

Thanks to everybody for the advice, I am contemplating fixing it myself but I have no idea

what a spanner is, I have a leatherman tool with me, but if needed, I will go out and purchase

the correct tools for the job....I visited a camera store today that has a large collection of

Leica's and asked about repairs and it was a waste of time, they told me to send it to

Solms..Vinay, if you read this, please explain to me what a spanner is, and I might give it a

try, if I screw up then I guess I have to send it to Sherry, but I would rather try and do it

myself if I can get the right tools...thanks again to everybody.....