EW-83J Hood on 17-40L

buck_rogers1

For thos of us with cropped sensors using the 17-40L as our standard zoom, The

new EW-83J hood for the 17-55 f/2.8 IS(sold separately) is a great alternative

for a better coverage lens hood. Cheaper than the hoods for either the 24L or

the 24-105L, this hood fits snuggly without any wiggle room and doesn't

vignette. Just got mine today. Take a look.<div>00GgUd-30183784.thumb.jpg.e49a3a6437eee8aaa8ec668f28503eba.jpg</div>

I have not yet succeeded in getting this hood in the UK, but I anticipated some time ago in a posting that it would be perfect for the 17~40 (and probably the 16~35) on 1.6-factor bodies, better than the currently widely used alternatives of the EW-83DII and EW-83H. It is good to see confirmation of this. Thanks for posting. It should also be better than the EW-83H hood (which is considerably shorter) for use with the 24~105 on 1.6-factor bodies. I will continue to pester UK outlets until I get hold of one!

<cite>What is the difference between the EW-83H that came with the 17-40 and the EW-83J?</cite>

<p>The hood that comes with the 17-40 is designed for a full-frame body, so it is quite wide and not very deep, as it has to avoid vignetting on a 17mm lens (actually, 16mm, as it was originally designed for the 16-35). On a 1.6-crop body, this lens has approximately a 27-64mm FOV (in full-frame terms), so the 17mm-FOV hood is excessively wide and doesn't do a very good job of blocking off-axis light. The previous two unofficial alternate hoods (for the 24/1.4 and 24-105/4) are designed for a 24mm FOV so they're better. The hood for the 17-55 is designed to take into account the 1.6x crop factor so it ought to be more effective than any of these other hoods.</p>

<p>I'm just guessing here, as I've never tried finding a hood for this lens on a 1.3-crop body. There's only one 22mm (or wider) prime with a detachable hood, the 20/2.8 USM, and it uses a 75mm hood, so that won't fit. And the only zooms that go 22mm or wider, but not as wide as 17, are the cheapie 22-55 (which uses a much smaller hood), the old 20-35/2.8L (which uses a 75mm hood), and the 20-35/3.5-4.5 USM. The latter uses an 83mm hood, the EW-83 (with no letters after it), and that one would probably work. But as I don't think I've ever seen it, I don't know how much deeper it is than the 17-40 hood, so it may not be that much of an improvement.</p>

<p>The traditional alternative hoods for 1.6-crop bodies (from the 24/1.4L USM and 24-105/4L IS USM) would work fine throughout most of the zoom range, but could vignette at the wide end, so unless you have an opportunity to do some careful testing before buying, they're probably not good choices for 1.3-crop bodies.</p>

"the 20-35/3.5-4.5 USM. The latter uses an 83mm hood, the EW-83 (with no letters after it), and that one would probably work..."

Steve, I use the EW-83 on my 10-22 and it's pretty shallow, so it should work, but not provide much coverage. I think it is just a *tad* deeper than the 17-40 hood. I would think that the EW-83H from the 24-105 would work better since it should work at the *very least* from 18.5mm (24mm/1.3xcrop). Canon coverage is pretty loose so I would bet that it doesn't vignette.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

<p>Hi, I've read your posts and I have 2 question:</p>

<p>1 I use 17-40 with APS-C, so which hood is deeper (that means more effecitive): EW-83H (24-105) or EW-83J (17-55)?<br>

2. What about EW-83F (24-70) with 17-40 (APS-C of course)? Has some of you tested this hood? What about vignetting?</p>

<p>Thank you for useful aswers :</p>

<p>Krzysztof </p>