D50....on Camera Flash question

david_eicher

Sorry for my impaitence. I have skimmed the manual some and found nothing yet

on using this flash on the D50 in broad daylight. I do this all the time with my

old Olympus P & S C-740. The Red-eye reduction, Auto Flash, Slow Sync and

Rear-Curtin sync do not seem to fit the bill. Is there a way to do this and the

other question is: Is there only one adjustment increase in Flash compensation

+1EV? Thought that was strange with a flash reduction of -3EV offered.

I've found with on-camera fill flash that you don't want to do a +1 EV adjustment. Just let it fire on auto, and try to use a realistic f-stop like 5.6. That tiny little flash isn't going to be able to pump out enough light to shoot at f/11 for example. Fool around with it. I had excellent results with my D70 (and N70 back in the day) used as fill in daylight.

Dave

David. In playing with my D50 I find that in the AUTO mode there doesn't seem to be a way to force the flash. But in the M,A,S or P modes the flash pops up if you press the flash button and there is a way to select flash only. For instance in the M mode the choices are flash, red eye flash or rear flash. The other modes have different choices but simple flash is common to all. Except AUTO.

David,

I have a D50 and have played with fill flash quite a bit. I find the best setting is to use the camera on P so that you can alter the EV settings, and it will always give you an appropriate synch speed.

Set the camera meter EV to -0.7 and the flash EV to -1.7 (pop up the flash and whilst holding the little pop up button and EV button together rotate the thumbwheel) for the fill. It will practically nail it every time with rarely any blown highlights, foreground or background. You will need to alter the levels a little in PS afterwards to bring the histogram fully to the right.

The flash on A D50 has an EV comp of up to -3.0 in either 0.3 or 0.5 increments. See p38 of your manual. If you don?t have a manual email me and I?ll send you a pdf version

Regards Darrin Gold

Got it, thank you very much. Time for some testing.