Nature Photography around Pittsburgh

venkat siva

Hello,

I am a nature photographer and will be staying in Pittsburgh,PA for

next two months due to work. Would like to know if there are any good

opportunity for Landscape photography (mountains,streams etc) in and

around Pittsburgh.

Any suggestions would be be appreciated.

Thanks

Venkat

Venkat,

I have visited the Pittsburg area for work a couple of times. Travelling east from the city, Pennsylvania becomes hilly and you should be able to find some mountain/stream/trees/river areas to photograph. This is an old coal mining area so some of the landscape has been altered over time. Talk to people locally when you arrive to search out better photo locations. Plan on driving out to take photos on the weekends.

Hopefully you will get more detailed ideas from local photographers.

Hi, try due East from PGH and go to Somerset and Bedford coiunties. They are both Beautiful. Somerset is where flight 93 went down too, and it is nice country all around that area. Also of interest is Ohiopyle state park, where Frank Lloyd Wright's fallingwater house is. This whole area is nice.

Brad

Pittsburgh and the surrounding area is a rundown and dirty area.

Up untill the early 1950s it was a important steel producing area.

Go east and northeast of Pitts. and you will find much better and

cleaner areas.West Virginia and Virginia are nice. I think Virginia

is a nice place to go and it is not that far, great for a weekend

trip. If you like to take pics of rundown and abandoned buildings

and things like that in black and white, then Pitts. might be the

place for you. Gus.

One more note. North of Penn State college which is in central Pa.

is also a nice area. A nice weekend trip. The Amish area in eastern

Ohio is nice for nature. Towns like Sugar Creek, Walnut Creek and

Berlin, Ohio are also nice. Those are Amish towns and are a good

place to check out. Gus.

Go north 30 miles McConnellメs Mills State Park very nice cover bridge and old mill, while there go to Breakneck Falls hard to climb down to but seldom photographed and very nice. Pghメs skyline from Mt Washington and West end Overlook. Point State Park fountain and lots of cityscapes. Pgh's Mt Washington allows a vantage point few cities have looking from above, lots of bridges and three rivers. Very nice Flower Conservatory in Oakland as well as a nice Zoo. South 35m to Fallingwater and Cucumber Falls as well as Ohio Pyle State Park.

• 2 weeks later...

Having lived in Pittsburgh for several years, as well as Houston, Washington, DC, and other places, I think I can safely say that Pittsburgh is no more run down and dirty then any other city. The downtown area may be less run down and dirty then your typical city.

You can get great downtown shots from the South Side (Station Square, perhaps) or up on Mount Washington. You can also get a lot of moody early morning shots (river mist and fog) on many mornings.

Since you are more concerned about nature photgraphy you might want to drive southeast. The area around Falling Water and Youghegany can also be quite scenic.