Canon ML-2 ring flash.

steve jh

Literature on the web states that the ML-2 ring flash can be used with 52 and

58mm diameter lenses. Has anyone ever used one of these ring flashes with a 62mm

dia lense? i.e. if I made an adaptor to attach the flash to my lenses (135 and

90mm macros) would I expect to get vignetting?

Thanks

Steve

Since you use the lens for close - ups and a macro lens gets longer, with a narrower angle, when you focus closer, I don't think you 'll get vignetting. I have a ML - 2 ring flash at home, which I use with the Canon FD 200 mm macro. It couples on that lens with a bayonet. I'll measure it's hole diameter for you, but I only have internet at my job and there's a 4 day weekend starting; I'll post it on Monday.

By the way, the flash is really good: coupled to a T90 in TTL mode, every single frame is perfectly exposed.

Bye,

dirk.

OK here the rub. The ML-2 flash head fits the 58mm bayonets on the end of a lens just like the canon Hoods. To use this flash on a lens with 55mm or 52mm filter thread and there for that size hood bayonets toy need two rings which make up the mount adapter a A Macrolite Adapter 52 or 55 and the Tightening ring 52 or 55. these will then screw into the fliter threads of a lens.

To mount the head to a lens with 62mm filter threads you would need to do one of two things.

1. Make a Custom adapter that had 58mm hood bayonets on one side and 62mm filter threads on the other. In order for the head to NOT rotate as the lens was focused you would need to make this as a two piece unit that allowed an internal rotation.

2. Find a 55mm adapter pair (etremely hard to find mine took me almost a year and a half of search the internet dealers and ebay) then you could use a simple 55mm to 62mm step ring.

with the second option you would have an opening of approx. 50mm through the Macrolite adapter. So with a 62mm lens you might have some problems wide open.

The 55mm Macrolite adapter is even harder to find then the 52mm version SO not sure this is a good option to try.

The idea of making a custom adapter is slightly more plausable you could use a Cokin A series mount adapter to start with and then do some pretty fancy filing to shape the 3 Bayonet lugs. At least the filter mount adapters are cheap and very plentiful.

Are you planing on using this with a T-90 or with a EF mount camera?

Thanks for the replies and comments

I was planning to use this on a T90, as all my macro lenses are 62mm I was planning on (semi)permenantly attaching a 62mm cokin p-series adapter to the back of the flash, so that It could then screwed onto the lenses. As the flash that Im buying comes with a 52mm adaptor, an alternative solution could be to buy a 62-52mm step-down ring adaptor from ebay.

I'm lucky in that with my lenses the barrel doesnt rotate when I focus, so that the flash should stay fixed. My only problem could be that the flash extends within the field of view of my lenses

Thanks again

Steve

Steve you might be able to use something like a foam mounting tape to hold a Cokin adapter (they have a nice flat flange on one side) you might look at a Cokin P adapter as they are larger so the flat flange should be wider and make a more solid attachment.

That would also keep the opening as larege as possible through the flash.

I purchased the ML-2 ring flash a few days ago. As the flash unit is quite light, I was able to attach it to a 62mm cokin adaptor using blue-tac. In addition I dont appear to have any vignetting. Took some pictures of plants and insects yesturday, so will try and post some images soon.

Thanks

Steve

• 17 years later...

Okay, an 18-year-old post, but I was sniffing around as I recently bought an ML-2 and ML-3……..Both of which I previously owned.

The mount adapter problem can be dealt with very easily - just use an old school Cokin square filter holder mount ring. 
- they have an oversized flange, which engages very well with the macro light, and then the male screw thread screws into the front of the lens. I always used that as a cheap and cheerful mount.