Hello All!

I have a new experience coming my way June 11. I have been hired

to shoot candids at a large wedding in the Dallas area. The newness

comes from being hired as #2 without knowing the primary photographer

first. His name is Frank Lopez and will be shooting the classic

wedding shots. I just received his number so that I can call him and

let him be aware of my presence at the wedding. My question for you

is two fold; One, is there a particular question I should not forget

to ask? And two, would anyone here know or have heard of him?

Thank You for your time aand any suggestions you may have.

Jay

JD,

The photo you posted is a very interesting portrait of the backside of a bride with a bunch of distracting dark bits'n pieces all over the image. The central lighting is nice, but I don't consider this to be a "wedding day" photograph...it is more like a set-up glamour photo that could be taken by anyone just to boost the ego of the photographer and it says nothing about the wedding day itself.

This is what I'm getting at: the portrait is fine (with a few adjustments), but it is only a portrait that would have been take weeks before the wedding.

Wedding photography should record the event on the day of the wedding, and show that the photos are a distinct and important parts of the event.

Well, since my style is to document the event and not to "create" artificial images, I guess you can see my bias.

I really think you should talk with this guy about what he wants you to do at the wedding. I would not work with him. I'm thinking that this might be an unpleasant experience for you.

Based on his stylized generic portrait you posted, he seems to be a primadonna and probably a very difficult person to work with...that's just my opinion.

I guess I'm more into a casual family and friends style of wedding photography than an exotic portrait oriented presentation as you posted.

Can we clarify something here. The way this thread is going i'm thinking Todd thinks that photo is Frank Lopez's photo. But i thought it was JD's photo. So whose is it?

By the way i kinda like that photo. A couple of those type of photos in the album wouldn't hurt and i'm thinking it's kind of unfair for todd to base his decision on just one photo.

<i>"Wedding photography should record the event on the day of the wedding, and show that the photos are a distinct and important parts of the event. Well, since my style is to document the event and not to "create" artificial images, I guess you can see my bias.

I really think you should talk with this guy about what he wants you to do at the wedding. I would not work with him. I'm thinking that this might be an unpleasant experience for you.

Based on his stylized generic portrait you posted, he seems to be a primadonna and probably a very difficult person to work with...that's just my opinion. "</i><p>

What plannet are you on Todd, do you have that opinion of everyone who shoots posed photos, if it's not your style then it isn't good and anyone shooting another style is a primadonna and difficult to work with?

<p>

I certainly wouldn't want to work with you, you seem to have a serious attitude.

Thank You JD, et al.

Yes, Google is the first thing I did. He is also into Pinhole photography...;)

Todd I am A little confused when you say, "ask him what he wants me to do" but "don't work with him". Can you clarify?

J

I like the cheeky photo, and I haven't snapped, even though I was up late and tired.

It is a beautiful photo, with a few corrections needed (dark spots on walls near dress and a bit too dark around the edges IMO), but, to me, it is more like a still life than a wedding photo. It shows off the dress, and might make a good ad photo for the dress, but you can barely see the bride.

Regarding working for/with him, I would be concerned that he may be very critical. If you do work with him, I would just suggest that you talk about expectations before you do the job.

That's all.

Jay,

My apologies.

In my first response I did not intend to flame you or anyone. Just to offer suggestions regarding the need to go into the event with an understanding between you and the #1 photographer on the job. You used the term "with blinders" so I assumed you had some concerns about not having full information regarding your working with Mr. Lopez.

When I worked with a studio, I did three such jobs without an operational understanding with the #1 photographer, and it was difficult to predict what they wanted me to do or how I could help him. I just didn't want you to get into a difficult situation. My intent was to be helpful. I guess I used some trigger words.

The photo from Mr. lopez is very elegant. I would simply get rid of the black spots on the walls around the dress and the distracting highlights to the brides lower right side. I would also have her turn her head a touch to the right and lighten the top a bit, all in PS. No big deal. The overall lighting and pose is beautiful.

Thank you for the link to his website. I did not see it on first glance.

I do hope that we can all be open about offering suggestions and critiques here so that we don't go the way of some other forums with hostility and put-down. I accept my responsibility in using such inflamatory words as "ego" and I apologized, though it was not directed at Jay.

Jay, clarification: Are you working independently of Mr. Lopez doing candids in your own way, or are you going to be taking directions from him. I think that is a question you need to ask.

Thank you, Todd

First let me say I'm sorry to Jay for "taking over his thread/forum post." All I wanted to do was provide the web site.

Second, This first photo is mine (JD). It was posted by mistake. But thanks to those who gave critiques. This is a good way to get feedback. I'll set your minds at ease and tell you I'm not a wedding photographer....just one of those pests that snapped a few shots at a friends wedding. (This was a posed shot. The "real" photographer was in front getting his shots)

Sorry for opening up this can of worms,

JD

Frank looks like he knows his way around the wedding, and is good with people and the camera. His post production seems a little heavy handed, high contrast in the shadows and mushy highlights, and I hate the way the forward/back buttons jump around, just to follow the orientation of the image. <p>His style seems quite strong in the candid department. You'll have to work to stay out of his shots. <p>I suggest you use long fast glass and work from the sidelines without strobe, getting individual head shots, especially when he's doing the formals. Get photos of people reacting to what they see. <p>During the reception, if you're working wide with a little strobe, try to stay in a different part of the room. When he's working close with the bride and groom, you should get reaction shots of the family members and people in the wedding party as they <i>watch</i> the bride and groom (cake cutting, garter ripping, bouquet tossing, etc). Good luck, you've got the fun job of the day... t<div>00CCXa-23529384.jpg.57b31ab82928aa074120ae4bd16a5432.jpg</div>

Jay was it the B&G that hired you or was it Frank himeself. If it was the bride and groom did they check to make sure that that was OK with Frank Lopez. Some photographers state in their contracts that they shall be the only proffesional photographing at the wedding they really should have checked with him first. If you would be working alone as in not for Franks company then you both have to give each other some space so you can do your jobs well. You should call him and discuss the planned events for the day he can help you much more than we can.

Stuart,

The B&G hired me to shoot mainly the reception. I will have nothing to do with Franks end of things except to be courteous and helpful if possible. Thank You All for your insight and input! I expect all will go well.

Jay