my neigh-bor

Thank you for this great photo Douglas. I like the side lighting, the mysterious way that the left eye is hidden in the shadows, and the sweet looking right eye that is in the Golden Zone of composition. Though not a conventional photograph, it follows the rule of thirds. The eye pulls me in emotionally. I like the horse, and the photographer for seeing him in this way.

Thanks again!

EDIFAFSVRGIS

It's NiCanon speak

extralow dispersion internal focus autofocus-S vibration reduction [?gyroscope] image stabilizer. It's hard to keep up with all of this nonsense. Why don't they simplify the nomenclature:

My suggestion is just a few descriptors

lenzen fushtunkena (bad)

lenzen zozo (soso)

lenzen gut (good)

lenzen ser gut (very good)

part of the beauty of this picture goes beyond the subject and has to do with the drama of

the composition, divided, the darkness of the right side of the foreground, the light on the

face, and the bokeh and light of the left half of the composition. that is what speaks to me

in this picture. my question to dh is this the same as the first post on the lug?

i'm all for full frame, and suggest that any cropping would throw off the proportions of

this elegant composition.

bravo!

Nice composition and light, Doug. I find the right side interesting and wouldn't want it cropped.

"...[?gyroscope]..."

No...G is Nikon's designation for its line of lenses with no aperture ring. The aperture is instead electronically controlled from the camera body. The rest is correct though.

thank you for the observations. I think cropping off the right-side, to a square-format, is a far-more interesting image. the eye is the only interesting element and should be isolated enough to hold the viewers concentration on it. the image has little else of interest. the out-of-focus hind-quarters adds nothing and the colours, especially the greens, are nothing that compels me to use K64.

Doug - I like your photo. Not what one normally sees in horse photos (even in good ones), which is why I like it.

<<< ... lenzen fushtunkena (bad) lenzen zozo (soso) lenzen gut (good) lenzen ser gut (very good) ...>>>

That's funny, Eliot.

<i><<< ... lenzen fushtunkena (bad) lenzen zozo (soso) lenzen gut (good) lenzen ser gut (very good) ...>>> </i><br><br>

Any online translator could do better than that... not one of the words you wrote exists (except 'sehr gut')

>Gerald Lehrer , may 12, 2005; 05:40 p.m.

To any of the newcomers to this Forum, let it be known that Doug Herr is one of the finest wildlife photographers in the world. <

Woah nellie, that's some major butt-kissing there dude. Sure glad the caption said "horse" and I've been riding em all my life. Take a look at Stocklein's or Vargas's work if you want to see what horse photos look like from two of the really world's finest, that people actually have heard of outside the Leica Forum. Course they use Canons so they probably don't count to you clowns.