Which Tripod head for 2.1kg 5x4 camera

nathan_ross

Dear all,

I'm hoping people can give me some recommendations. I have an Ebony SV45Ti and

have been using it on a Manfrotto carbon fibre tripod with pistol grip head.

The pistol grip head no longer holds its position and needs to be replaced.

So I need a new tripod head, but which one?

My Ebony and 35mm cameras all have Manfrotto quick release plates permanently

attached, so I'm hoping to stick to that, but will change if I have to.

Your suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nathan

(www.nathanross.co.nz)

You are gonna get as many recommendations as there are heads on the market that will hold

your camera. A good rule of thumb is a head that is rated for at least twice the weight of

your camera and lens combo. The Ries double tilt head is fabulous but may be pretty large

for your tripod. BTW, you should also check to see that your tripod is sturdy enough for

your needs, it may not be. Personally I like ball heads, take a look at the Acratech and the

Foba Mini Superball. I use both of them with a Toyo AII which weighs about the same as your

Ebony.

I owned an Ebony SV45Ti camera for a while. I used three different heads with it (because I was changing tripods around during the time I owned the camera). I used the Bogen 3047 head, the Bogen 410 head, and an Arca Swiss B1 ball head. All worked very well (the Arca was in an emergency, I don't like ball heads for large format). My favorite was (and is) the 410. At a camera weight of a little over 4 pounds (I don't know kgs but IIRC that's what the 45Ti weighed) you don't need an exotic or super expensive head.

Thanks everyone - Really appreciate the recommendations. I've looked at the ball heads and they appear as if they would be difficult with fine control (e.g. horizontal) whilst balancing the large camera. Using the Manfrotto 222 joystick head was fantastic with 35mm, but could be quite frustrating with 4x5, and so small ball heads without an entire gripping area seems that much more difficult.

Three-way heads just stick out too much and in all directions and would drive me nuts when walking through tight spots (difficult enough with the Lowepro Super Trekker at 6'6"!).

I think I might end up with a geared head (Manfrotto 405), which seems to be a good compromise. Any thoughts on that idea?

Thanks again,

Nathan

nathan,

the manfrotto 405 is a beautifully working head, nevertheless very expensive.

i've the manfrotto/bogen 141 rc and use it with a technika V plus heavy modern lenses

etc.

its releases don't stick out that long, maybe 5-6". the head is designed for weights up to 6

kg.

now i have never even seen your camera in real life. but you may consider having a look at

it. it can take quick release plates of 1/4" and 3/8" screws.

i'm very happy with it and got rid of my gitzo head for the reason of the rods sticking out

too far.

Nathan,

I use gitzo pan/tilt heads with my linhof technika. I usually carry it with the platform parallel to the legs and pointing towards the feet. It is just a matter of twisting it round. It is very compact and the knobs cease to be a problem.

Robin

Why would you want the 405 at $350 as opposed to the 410 at $150 (approximate prices)? The only difference I know of between them (other than their weight and slightly different handles)is the greater capacity of the 405. Perhaps there are other differences I don't know about. But the 410 has a capacity that's more than 3 times the weight of your camera, which seems unnecessary, and the 410 has at least as much as you need. I use the 410 with my 6+ pound Linhof Master Technika and it works fine.

But regardless of that, I think a geared head of some kind is a good choice. The geared heads seem to me to present the best of two worlds, i.e. you can move them easily and quickly when you want to make a big adjustment, similar to a pan tilt head, and you can make small incremental adjustments when that's called for. The only disadvantage with my camera, head, and leg (Gitzo 1325) combination is that when the camera is tilted upwards it quickly bumps into the top of the tripod and to tilt it further I have to slightly rotate the head. A minor annoyance.

The reason why I was looking at the 405 instead of the 410 is because each time I compromise on something that seems small, it turns out to be frustrating.

E.g. I was recently talked into buying a cheaper 90mm lens and have found it limiting compared to what I knew that the other lens would offer. E.g.#2 In trying to save money with a light meter, I found the one I bought so frustrating that I now use my Canon EOS 3 as a light meter for the 5x4.

So I'm [at least] twice bitten and shy many times over.

So I'll have to take my camera into a store and try out both the 405 and the 410 and see how they go. If I can't do that - if I'm buying over the net - I'll take the 405 so I can sleep easily.

Cheers everyone.

Nathan

Your camera is a bit different than mine but I use the 410 with an Ebony RW45 and it's a no compromise combination. I don't think you'll find it like the lens and meter you regretted (I did that on a meter and ended up with the 558R after losing money on the one I shouldn't have bought). Having said that, I'm back to using an Arca Swiss B1. The reason is simple: I've used the Arca for years and years and I'm used to it. Plus, it weighs less and is easier to pack.

Mike

Manfrotto 468MG hydrostatic ballhead. After many trails and errors, i finally find this new ballhead which could hold very tight my Linhof with the tele 400mm lens even under any angle! this ballhead has one screw which fits both standard and large hold of your camera, smart design.