Tethered to a computer - what Software?

adamlozo

I've been trying to attach my 20D to my computers. I have both a Mac and a PC

and have downloaded all of the Canon software as I understand that it's supposed

to offer this functionality.

On both systems, the software either didn't recognize my camera or it refused to

launch.

I'm not sure this would really improve my photography skills - my thought is

that if I can get immediate feedback that I'd be better able to understand what

I'm doing right/wrong. I'd like to start with a low cost solution to see if

there really is any benefit before moving to an expensive solution.

Any ideas for me? Canon isn't being very helpful and their download section is

just awful.

Get the latest updates. Then you can tether. I found their site easy to use...don't get so frustrated. You can't connect any device to your computer unless you have the drivers installed, right? Make sure you get the most recent updates from canon and you'll be fine.

Adam, what do you want the software to do? If it is only to read a memory card, it is much simpler to purchase a card reader and plug it in to a USB port. I have not even downloaded the Canon software that came with my camera. This was over two years ago. Good Luck.

I'm trying to control the camera through the computer. I believe that I can trigger the shutter from the computer and have the image appear on both the computer screen and the camera LCD. I feel that I'll learn faster without having to recall the settings hours or days later and that I'll end up with more quality images in that I would make adjustments based on what I'm viewing on the larger screen.

I was told that there is a setting in camera that I need to change in order for the connection to not read the card but read the camera. I'll look into this tonight and respond back with my findings.

Just change it so you can shoot without a CF card in the camera. YOu need to update your software. I had the same problem in the past and updated my software and was able to tether until I wore out the usb connection. (aka a lot)

It's very useful in the learning process when it comes to lighting specifically. Just know that you'll always have to have a battery at 50% or higher to keep it tethered... one strange quirk of the 20d.

Good luck with this

Adam, I've been using the EOS Viewer Utility and absolutely love it! I mount my laptop on a tripod beside the camera and have immediate feedback about the shot. First, it's much easier to review the sharpness of the picture on the laptop's larger LCD. I also have Photoshop CS2 on my computer and I look at the raw images in real-time using their Bridge program. In low-light situations or in cramped quarters where it's difficult to wedge myself behind the camera, the computer is a real help. Finally, if several people need to review the pictures on location, the larger display makes a huge difference.

An add to Charles's info, this is also a great way to control and optimize sharpness in macro closeups. And folks who don't have cameras or software for PC tethering, can check macro focus by playing the live image through a TV...at least for many digital cameras, that is.

--Dave

For your initial issue of the computers failing to recognize the vamera or the software not launching, I would recommend reinstalling the software and drivers, then reinstalling the camera to the computer. I had this issue come up with my 5D because I apparently did not install the software and camera in the right sequence. It worked the next time.

There's also a firmware update that I've read about that directly involves how EOS Capture works with the 20D. If you haven't already done so, you should update to make sure your camera is running the latest firmware.

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old link but....

I have been using DSLR Remote Pro from breezesys and it is alot better than canon software. Easy to use and setup as long as your pc recognises your camera in the first place (install correct drivers). It works with the 20d and 30d among others.

You can do preview shots so that you dont fill up your memory card or laptop. Alternatively just tell it to download straight to your laptop and not your mem card at all.

You can even insert a name and it will prefix the number for each file name until changed. It also gives all the control of the camera like shutter/apert/iso and bracket shots.

~I use it for all my event photography and the great thing is that customers love to be able to preview the pics then and there. Shoot times are greatly reduced.

Hope this helps.

On another note - im looking for a Uk based laptop stand to sit near my camera, so far i have only found instand based in US. any ideas peeps