Canon 5D and 580EX Flash Problem

bob_carpenter1

My wife owns the 5D she just upgraded from the 20D. Shes having problem with the regeneration speed

on the 580EX. Shes using the canon 24 -70 and a tameron lenses. It seems she'll snap a picture and it

seems to take forever for the flash to regenerate. This was never an issue with her 20D. She shoots in M

and P mode.

I'm just trying to help the misses out, so any suggestions would be helpful.

I am having no problems with the 5d and 580EX. BUT I do believe that the 580ex is smart

enough to take into account the APS sensor size on the 20D so there will be a wider angle of

illumination at 24mm on the 5d than there is at 24mm on the 20d, hence less light intensity.

I just shot a weddding with this combo two days ago. You're recycle time is BAD because

your batteries are out of wack. Try 2500 MAH NiMd batteries. "Nickle Metal Hydride".

Mine lasted for a good two and a half hours of shooting frequently.

Cheers

If fresh batteries doesn't solve the problem, it suggests that there is a slow or intermittent short circuit in the camera's flash shoe due to a faulty component or poor soldering. That is, assuming that a) you get similar behaviour on the 5D using a different flash, and b) the 580 still behaves well on a different body - otherwise, a fault has developed in the flash itself. Try to establish which it is before getting warranty service for the affected item.