30D metering/exposure problem

keimae

Hi All,

Has anyone experienced metering exposure problems with the Canon 30D. A friend of mine sems to be

having serious exposure problems with his 30D and Sigma 15-30mm f2.8 lens.

He said his pictures are grossly over exposing when Meter indicator in-camera was reading 0 EV.

He recalled getting an error last week with this lens mounted but cannot remember exactly what the error

said. I am going to meet up with him tomorrow to compare meter readings from His 30D and my 20D with

this particular lens, but before then can anyone shed some light... if you have had this problem maybe?

i know there is a slight difference in metering between the two cameras but it should be fairly even when

we try them out together.

His lens got a great review from Canon themselves so I can't see there being a compatability problem.

any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Keith

Sigma makes a 15-30 f/2.8?

I used to own a Sigma 15-30, I liked it a lot, and might've kept it had it been a fast lens (both in aperture and focusing).

The 30D and 20D are so close in all measures as to be nearly virtually indistinguishable.

Sounds like the aperture might not be closing down properly. My suggestions would include trying to shoot with the lens wide-open and seeing if that makes a difference and setting the aperture down and testing to see if it will stop down with the DOF button. You might also try cleaning the contacts on the lens, since dirty contacts can cause errors in camera-lens communication.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone.

I checked it out and it appears to be fine. I believe he hadn't got the on-screen overexposure

indication on his 300D which he has had for a good while and this might be what was

throwing him... this coupled with 30D sensor might exposing higher then the 300D.

But anyway, Thanks again.