Anybody else out there still use 70mm film?

Hello All,

I had some pretty good luck acquiring some interesting, not badly

outdated 70mm films, as well as 70mm cartridges, Kindermann film tank

and loading rack, 70mm film pages, Hasselblad 70mm backs, even the

adapter for running unperforated 70mm film in the 'blad back.

Anybody else out there interested in long roll film?

Yes, I have a camera with a 70mm unperforated back. I tried getting a back for a Mamiya on ebay, but the guy was an asshole and the deal fell through. I'm looking into getting into the school photography business, and I plan on shooting it on film until the day they close the last lab down. Oh wait, I have a lab of my own now! Until they stop making the film emulsion then :-)

Regards.

~Karl Borowski

You are very fortunate to have found the tank and loading rack.

I never imagined that there was an adapter for using unperforated 70mm film in the 'blad. Is there any chance you could post a picture of it?

I ask because I am on my last 150' of genuine Kodak perforated B&W film, but there is plenty of unperforated left.

FWIW, I shoot it in a KE-4, however with the 'blad 70mm backs becoming so inexpensive, I may pick one up - if I can noodle out that adapter.

So far, in type 2 perforated 70mm, my biggest score was from a military surplus guy, I bought fifteen reasonably fresh rolls of 150' Kodak Surveillance film, EI 400, like it alot for B&W, about like Tri-X. Also 150' of Infared 2424, dated 1999, gonna try it anyway. And 500' of Kodak Plus-x Aerecon II film 3404, a very thin based film. Recently I bought 100' for Agfa Aviphot EI400 color neg, supposed to be like regular 400EI color neg in terms of response.

In unperforated 70mm, I have fresh Kodak Portra 100 and 400, and Efke 100 from J&C photo, just introduced this year. I bought two of the 70mm blad adapters from a guy on ebay several years ago, they have worked well for me so far, no overlapping frames.

I sold most of my 70mm stuff about 2-3 years ago -- kept a couple of graflex backs, one or two developing tanks and a jig to cut 70mm film down to 120. Since Kodak stopped selling 70mm aero infrared, i really haven't seen much use for it. I still have a few dozen feet in the freezer, but this summer should about be the end of it :-(

I recently got a few 70mm 'Blad backs that I picked up for a song at a camera second hand bourse. Finding the Cassettes was a bigger headache and more expensive. I got some eBay 70mm 100 feet rolls of TRI-X, Kodak Portra 160, 500 feet of Double-X Aerographic Film. Some very old ViviPan, more. So far I have shot one 5 feet roll of TRI-X.

I also have a 70mm Kinderman but I have been unable to master the trick of loading the film in the metal reel. To exercise I sacrificed another 4 feet of 70mm film, but cannot get it to work. I did find a fallback. I still have two old paterson type II tanks for mainly 120 film and guess what. the old plastic reels also fit 616 type film which is 70mm !!!

What I did was just load the film to the end and then cut the remaining by scissor. I could develop the 5 feet in 3 stages, thus sacrificing two snaps. Developed in HC-110. Came out great.

What does interest me is that I read in this exchange that it is possible to get an adapter for the Hasselblad 70mm back for running unperforated 70mm film. Will appreciate in anyone can tell me how it looks like, part number or even better where to get. I see a lot of 70mm unperforated film for sale that I just ignore because it is unperforated. Also noticed that J&C is selling fresh EFKE unperforated 70mm.

By the way, The Kindermann 70mm Tank plus 2 reels was picked up at another bourse for 30 Dollars.

-- Hans van Hal

Hans,

I bought the adapter for unperforated 70mm film in 'blad back from a guy (DearAujuro) on ebay several years go. This looks to me like something he had mass-produced in a machine shop. It is manufactured of aluminum, threaded to fit the blad 70mm back. If you open your 'blad back, you can remove the film advance cog by turning the knurled knob to counter-clockwise with your thumb. There is a washer underneath, be -careful-. This guy had a aluminum disc machined to thread onto the blad hub, then put back on the knob. It's basically a disc of aluminum, the outside edge has been cut to hold a black neoprene "o-ring" which pulls the unperforated film through the back without a bit of problem.