ERR on the D200... What now!?

juan_su

Hey guys, looks like I'm having terrible luck with my D200. I just

finished a shoot with it while having to deal with the TC stuck on it.

Long story short, I managed to finally get the TC off of the D200. I

placed the 24-85 AFS lens on the D200. Took a few pictures and then

all of a sudden, the top LCD panel started to flash ERR. I press the

shutter button and it fires, but not picture is taken. I did a

research on previous threads and they deal with the DOP, but that's

not what I'm experiencing, although everything else sounds the same...

Has anyone had this problem on their D200 yet? I tried powering off

and on and even set the camera on M exposure mode and set it to 30

seconds. when I fired the shutter, it appears that the mirror comes

up, but the shutter curtain remains closed so I can't see the censor.

Does this mean that my shutter is malfunctioning? I guess I'm just not

having any luck these past few days...

Hi Shun, I'm glad you are deciding on keeping this thread alive. So that I don't cross post on this thread, I will answer your question about the TC in the original thread about the TC. As for the D200, yeah, I charged the lithium battery full and even charged my 2100mh AA batteries full and as soon as I power on the D200, ERR flashes. What is funny is that last night I was trying all sorts of settings and features on the camera to see if I can waked it up from this nonsense state. When I mount the 24-85mm AFS lens and try to focus on different things, the AF indicators flash randomly. Almost as if the AF is confused too. Not sure what is going on but I'll definitely be contacting Nikon USA on monday and have the camera ready to ship back to them. I hope this is a known issue just like the gentleman on the Nikonian post said.

Bernard, I'll have to keep my fingers crossed to see if I have as much luck on this D200 as the other person did on his... Oh brother... What a beauty of a camera, but it's been a rough start to our relationship. LOL

Sounds like the stuck converted (orits removal) caused

your problem. What brand of TC was it? I saw someone else mentioned Tamron above...can you confirm. I have two Tamron lenses and never had issues with mine on my d200. I hope it gets better from here on.

This is purely my guess, but I too feel that the two problems Juan has with his D200 are not necessarily separate events, or you would be a relly unlucky guy. Most likely, either (1) there was a mechanical problem that caused the TC to get locked as well as the shutter problem or (2) when the TC was finally removed, the camera was accidentally damaged in the process, causing the current problem.

If you send the camera back to Nikon US for repair, you'd better tell them the whole story to help them fix it.

I have a strong feeling that there was some thing potentially wrong mechanically with the D200. Removing the TC wasn't a problem what soever and I was very careful to have the camera on a padded working surface and was very careful not to use force. In fact once I was able to remove most of the part up to the lens mounts, it was as simple as just pushing in the AF driver with the screwdriver and twisting off the mount while pressing the lens release button as normal.

The reason I tested the camera was to see if there was any problems or not mount, again I was able to fire quite a few shots before all the ERR error came up. I distinctly recall aiming the ceiling when this happened. I hope my experience with Nikon will be just as smooth as that individual at Nikonians.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep got that problem after shooting at H2 on the D200. Intermittent at first - then - two weeks later, it stuck. Shots would come out really dark and Err would shows until i did a Menu Reset.

Sent the Camera back to Hong Kong for the (non-international) warranty repair. On its way back now - reported to be an 'Aperture Control Problem' repair.

Let's hope there won't be any more HK round trips for the camera after this one!