A few more Hasselblad questions

sam_portera

I was all set to order a 500cm kit, a thought occured to me today. I

was planning on adding the 150mm Sonnar C lens to my kit for

portraits (Its the cheapest and there by being the only one I can

afford) Is this lens a good choice for portraits?

I have priced Bronica SQ systems which are much cheaper, and I would

be able to afford newer glass with bronica, but have been told

repeatedly that Hassy is more reliable and a better choice for me (I

do B&W landscape almost exclusivley) Looking at the prices at KEH

I'm not sure I will ever be able to afford a wide angle lens!

So bascically are there any budget Hassy owners, and what equipment

youve found that works for you (on a budget).

I work solely minimalistic by choice. Both with 35mm as with midformat I only use standard lenses, no exceptions made, ever.

I use my Hassleblad with the 80 CF which I find is one of the best lenses I have ever used. Ofcourse from time to time you will hit limitations, especially in the wide angle area, I have the 50mm as well, but like Isaid I don't use it and havent done so for over a year now. As for tele's I don't miss them what so ever, I tend to solve a lot of the limitations you find in the field through my enlarging and printing process at home in my darkroom.

Focus on standard, learn to live with the limitations, something you will get use to pretty soon, and build on the standard focal lenght, I found this greatly improved my photography in general.

Unless you have to make a living doing portraits it is my opinion that the 150mm is a waste of money, granted you can create a differnet atmosphere by making us of the 150mm DOF... but like I said there is a lot you can do in the printing and enlarging process.

I wouldn't think twice about getting the hassleblad once you get to know it, and it gets to know you you will never want to get rid of it again.... Maybe if you dont get a 150mm go for a 503 and a CF 80mm instead of the C or T. An extra back or perhaps 2 works great as well.

I have four A12 backs 1 with efke 25 on with efke 100 on with tri-x 320 and one with fast film, either pushed Tri-x or delta 3200 depending on what I'me doing. You don't need four, but my Hass�eblad came with the four back so I try to make the best out of it.

The 150/4 C is the same optical formulas as the latest lens. It is very sharp, even wide open, and considered nearly ideal for portraiture. You take some risk with an older (i.e., C) lens that parts may be hard to find if you need repairs. Still, these lenses are durable and capable of many years of good service. You should probably send it for a CLA (about $150) when you are able - the body and back too.

The 150 is very good for landscapes too (I prefer normal to long for landscapes).

If you want a single lens for more general usage, an 80 or 100 would be better. So-called "normal" lenses work well for medium format, especially for large prints.

There are many pleasures shooting with an Hasselblad, but medium format is not especially budget-wise. You'll end up spending about 3x as much as you would to own a 35mm system of comparable quality - equipment, film and processing.

The most overlooked lens in the Hasselblad line is the 250mm Sonnar f/5.6 C. It is a great lens. With the extension tube 21 it makes a great tight portrait lens.

Ansel Adams used the 250 a lot. You can find them for less than the 150mm.

My 500C kit is a 50mm f/4, an 80mm f/2.8, and the 250mm f/5.6, all C types.

Sam, I recently bought a budget Hassy. Bought the lens I wanted (100 Planar) at the most reasonable price for a really clean one (a CT*), and the most reasonably priced camera body (500EL), again in very clean condition, and a A12 back.

I expect to be shooting off a tripod most of the time, so the EL worked for me. I was enjoying shooting candids with it today, prefocused the lens (not necessarily pointing the same way as I am looking....waistlevel finder) and shooting away with a cable release. Most people didn't even know they were subjects ;-)

Anyway a Hassy on a budget is a great way to go.......sorta the flip side of the "digital revolution".

I second Anthony, I have the same combination (but CF version). I do mainly landscapes but I like the 250 for portrait too.

Another combination (on a budget) could be a non-Hasselblad 2X (like kenko or vivitar). I'm satisfied with the result (kenko) and the little loss of sharpness is not an issue for portraits and sometimes is desiderable.

Hi Sam

You may call me a budget Hassy owner. A couple of months ago I bought a 500 C/M, with a 80mm. A few weeks later a sonnar 150, and it is pure magic. Do not hesitate, just go for it. The sharpnes and beautiful soft depth of field is just amazing. Never worked with that 250 version, so I only can speak for these 2 lenses. Good luck with it, Theo.