Eos 5D and 1Ds2: battery life in the field

qtluong

How many images can you realistically take on a 5D battery, assuming that you

use IS, activate metering and AF quite a bit even if you don't take the picture,

always use the LCD for histogram review and editing on the fly (that is delete

images) ? Same question with the 1Ds2 (I personally get less than 500, while

others have reported thousands).

For 1Ds2 I've got between 700 (cold) and over 5000, with 1500 being typical. I think that taking bursts of shots, using CF rather than microdrives, using freshly charged batteries, using higher capacity 3rd party batteries, JPEG, and no LCD, all increase the number of shots from a battery.

My experience with the Canon Li-ion-accus is that they reach anything between 200 and 400 shots where as the NiMh-accu of 1D MkII lasts anything from 700 to 1500 shots. However, it is parametric to handle the NiMh-accu carefully. You need to refresh it regularly as it has the s.c. memory effect where as the Li-Ion-accus act as condensators and have no memory effect. You should always use the NiMh-accu till it is completely drowned. The more you leave charge on the bottom the stronger the memory effect is.<p>

Then again, in my experience the NiMh-accu, handled correctly lasts higher amount of charges than the Li-Ion-accus - which I believe is contradictory to the theory. Just an observation.

Q.T.L., my experience with the 1DsII is closer to yours -- 500-700 shots, using OEM batts, but I chimp a lot and use RAW, so no LCD and jpeg might change that equation a lot.

If you're thinking of buying a new body, I'd wait until Photokina announcements; the next 1-Series batteries will probably either be much smaller and cheaper or, if the same size, much larger shot capacity.

(A quick plug for those who aren't familiar with the OP's stunning work: it's at http://terragalleria.com , though he's too modest to put it in his signature.)

With a 1Ds mk.2 I well get over 500 per full battery charge. I chimp a fair amount , but don't shoot jpegs, and rarely use IS lenses. chimping after every shot and using IS lens use sucks the battery down a lot faster. I suspect that shooting jpegs will also contribute somewhat to less battery capacity since the computers in the camera have to do the raw to jpeg processing. I use Compact Flash, SD and Micro Drives. I do see less battery capacity (not a lot less but it is there) when using the microdrives.

I've read about those third party 1D series batteries lasting longer, but I've never noticed that with but the Belkin that I have. Moreover, it degrated to a point where it doesn't even last a whole day (kind of annoying to have to return to the hotel in a middle of a shot isn't it ?), so in the future I think I'll be sticking with Canon.

Shooting RAW and a mix of my EF 24-105 4L IS USM and EF 50 1.4 USM, my Sterling Trek

511 cranks out 700-800 5D images, about double of what the same battery could in my 10D.

I haven't tried the Canon 511A that came with it yet. The Sterling Trek never seems to poop

out.

I don't play with the LCD much other than the default preview. Not much of a chimper else

too many good shots get away. I often use MF for checking out potential compositions, a

habit from my conserve 2CR5 days. However IS is always active and I use AF for the real shot.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter