Photography schools

j_p23

Hi everyone. I've recently graduated from a university with a degree

in political science but am seriously considering pursuing

photography as a career. I am not sure what type of photography yet.

I am located in the Washington DC/VA/MD area. Does anyone know any

good schools around here? I have looked into Brooks, Hallmark, ICP,

and all these other schools...but they all seem really expensive. I

am hesitant of going through undergrad all over again to pursue a BA

or BFA. Please help! Is it best for me to dish out the money or

should I just get a certificate?

I am a beginner, so that said here goes......I guess that with your training in political science you have an interest in politics, so then perhaps you may consider your photographic subject as a primary concern without worrying how you get there. There are many photography schools, but they won't teach you what you really want to do with your camera.

Cheers.

I should also state that I have learned all of my stuff from photo.net and I am happy being 'here'. Perhaps the Ivy league of photosites would be more expensive but I get by quite well. Anyhow, If I had a degree in political science I reckon I would want to shoot lots of politicians, using slow film and large format.

All the best.

Grace,

<p>

You might want to talk to the folks at <a href="http://www.wsp-photo.com/">Washington Photography School</a>. They are right outside DC in Bethesda MD (Metro accesible). They offer a professional program (6 hours a week, and they have evening classes) that is very comprehensive.

</p>

<p>

I was a student there and all of my instructors were working photographers with backgrounds ranging from fine art black and white to digital based sports. I enjoyed the program.

</p>

Thanks for the responses!

I studied Political Science because I was interested in mainly social issues. Photojournalism/documentary seems like an option, but at this point, I just want to work on both the technical and artistic aspects because I don't have any formal training. I've only taken a course in high school and wasn't able to take university courses because they were closed to art majors only. I also want to be able to explore other aspects of photography to really find what it is I want to do.

David, I checked out The Washington School of Photography. I wanted to ask if you found it difficult to finish the program while working? Also, what kind of equipment do you need? Or can you borrow?

Thanks

>>I wanted to ask if you found it difficult to finish the program while working? Also, what kind of equipment do you need? Or can you borrow?

I was enrolled in the evening session of the professional program. Classes were held twice a week for three hours each session. I found that I was able to go to my regular 9 to 5 job, get home, walk the dog, and get to WSP without missing the start of class at 7. Most of the other students in my classes held full time jobs too.

All you need to supply is a camera with manual controls and film (and paper for printing). I can't remember if a tripod was required (I already had one). The school has everything else.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been researching the same topic for the last month or so and that's what I came up with so far. Basically, there are two sides to photography: the craft itself and the way of leaving. Almost any school can teach you the craft (i.e. how to tame the camera, handling tricky exposures etc.) Technical (or certificate) school could be a good start if you are not quite sure whether you are going to make photography your way of earning the leaving or just keep it as a hobby (maybe selling some photos on the side occasionally). If you are still hesitating whether you *really* want to pursue the career of photo pro, then IMHO you'd be better off with a certificate course that will give you a feeling of what this mess is all about, all for a fraction of hefty Hallmark costs. At least, that's what I'm going to do :-)

Beware: WSP is changing the program drastically this fall, so you may want to inquire right away, as some classes will be gone in a few months...

• 1 month later...