120/220 processing in New Zealand

mark_h6

I'm trying to make a final decision on which camera to bring on a 3-month trip to New Zealand with an

imminent departure (Jan 3rd). Can anyone tell me the current state of E6 film processing in NZ?

Anywhere? Auckland only? I'd prefer 220 film, since I'll be there so long. Has processing diminished to

the point that I should deal with the lower resolution and hassles of a laptop and backup hard drives

instead?

Thank you.

No problem with E6 in Auckland. There are a number of pro labs doing good work, including PCL in Parnell and Labtec in Newton. Labtec turns around 220 in 90 minutes. Fuji and Kodak 220 is available from both places, if you need it although some emulsions are more readily available than others. I also know for sure that 120/220 E6 processing is available in Wellington and Christchurch - and probably other places.

Imagelab in Wellington and Christchurch, and also WPS in Wellington. Both places charge around NZ$6 per roll develop only, same day service. I believe Photo & Video in Christchurch also do it.

I've also found that camera shops will accept 120 film for processing (next day service), but they most likely send it away to one of the above stores.

My place for B+W :-)

Bring your MF kit, you'll regret it otherwise !!

Just to repeat what others have said, PCL (Professional Color Labs) in Parnell, Auckland will process 120 and 220 film. Their quality control and film processing is first class, I don't take my film anywhere else now.

120 film is available from larger camera shops but 220 is not common in NZ.

Bring your medium format camera and enjoy your time in NZ.