This is one of those rhetoric question. The life be very boring if we

blindly followed every rule, such as Speed Limit fo instance ;) (Oh

boy, I'm gonna be burned for that one)

<br>But how often do you brake them? I'm talking composition,

exposure, etc. Should newbies to photography (such as myself) even try

to break the rules?

<br>Let me post an example. Picture is totally "bulls eyed" but I saw

beautiful light on their faces and just fired away. I like it but

would love to hear others opinions.<div>00CVci-24073984.jpg.e8e8a497dc1e514aacd0890ecde243a8.jpg</div>

Your picture is not a composition no-no. You used the window as a frame, that's a great composition tactic! The lighting is really lovely, good eye. However, my eye went immediately to the two noses and two lips...had it been just the bride or a better profile of both...you would have really knocked this one out of the park, IMO.

I do not think you should concentrate on breaking rules. Take the pictures, look for great shots and later you may sit down and analyze: "well, this shot really works well even though the rule of thirds is not exactly observed." If you can also find out what makes that particular shot strong, you are learning more then you would just by intentionally breaking rules.

This is one of those well hit balls that just faded foul. It doesn't matter that it was almost a home run, it still doesn't make the proof book.

It appears that you were the second shooter or someone else had their attention. Either way, you positioned yourself well for the shot that could have been.

As far as newbies breaking the rules goes, many don't even know what the rules are. Program, point, shoot and see what we can fix in Photoshop. My advice to newbies is master the rules first and then see which ones bend as you slowly develop a style. How is this done without reckless disregard for your client's interests?

Assist an established pro to learn the rules. Never "bend or break" rules (what you know works) when failure results in a very pissed off client.

Curious to see how 3200 speed film does at high noon and a beach wedding? Don't wait for the kiss to try it.

I've never said I don't know the rules. Nevertheless even though I know them, I still make mistakes - mostly because of lack of experience. The image above was intentionally shot the way it is bacause I loved the framing and especailly the light. Got too excited and missed two noses to close to each other. That's why this place is such a great place to learn.

This topic takes me back to art school. It reminds me how much we were taught the rules, the theory of composition and grids and all that stuff when it comes to design. It was always frustrating for me, even though I could pull off good marks following these rules but when I got tired of that I would pull of a design breaking every design rule known to man and still have a very aesthetically pleasing piece of work. It always astounded me how the instructors would frown upon this type of approach, but critiques from classmates were always positive.

Where are there rules, or, why do we follow the rules when we know that these "rules" don't have to be followed to produce a pleasing product.

I think students learning any kind of artform would learn an incredible amount and develop more personal and intimate style if they weren't confined within these boundaries of rules the textbooks tell us.

Just once i'd have like and instructor to say, "Alright students, your project is to design a poster on lampshades. Your goal is to break every rule possible and still have something effective and pleasing the look at. The winner gets a cookie!"

Steve - Hopefully my post wasn't disturbing you.

If it was, this may help...

Never ruin a shot because you didn't [worry about the "rules"].

Are there really hard and fast rules of photography or simply proven processes, techniques and compositional structures that are inherently appealing.

I am not suggesting that the only way to shoot is per the "rule book". That would eliminate completely and artistic difference between us.

You simply need to know which rules you are breaking so that you can be objective in your approach. The "learned rules" separate those that that simply point, shoot and hope from those that manipulate the composition and lighting (scene) to create the image they intended to capture.

"That would eliminate completely and artistic difference between us."

I never could proof read. Could have sworn it said "any differences"....

I don't know why anybody would want to shoot 3200 at the beach (at noon) either but what the heck, that's why they make neutral density filters.

Marcin,

I'm a big fan of "breaking all the rules". Obviously you know what the rules are if you

know you're breaking them. Some rules are really just preferences that were liked by

enough people that someone decided to call them rules and others are technical

guidelines. When it comes to composition and framing.. I think we're speaking of

preferences that may be agreed upon by many different people. Wouldn't it be boring if

we always followed everyone else's rules? I know that awesome car of yours wouldn't be

so fun if you couldn't ever break the speed limit ;-). I like the image, I agree it's a little

akward, but I would probably include it and let the bride & groom decide if they liked it or

not. If they like it, that's all that matters.

I like your photograph. You explored the boundaries and you got something pretty good. You've got a good creative eye; it must be because your heart, mind & soul are getting connected! Keep working.

May I suggest next time this opportuinity should present itself, getting some of the eyes of the other person into your image, at least more than the nose. Just a thought to help.

I like how you framed the photograph and your use of lighting. Good job! Thank You for submitting your photograph.