Epson V700 on monochrome negatives. Experience wanted.

I have scanned several 120 films at 2400 dpi (Ilford Delta 100, Delta 400, TMX, TMY, Neopan, Agfa APX 100) shot with Mamiya 7 (-> good optics). I have made wonderful prints up to A3+ format (13" x 19"), which is the limit of my home printer. I can see grains on enlarged scan from 400 ISO films. Scans requires some "unsharp mask" processing as with any flatbed scanners. I have also scanned some 4"x5" negs with stunning results.

As for software, I have used the Epson provided software. I am not convinced using provided SilverFast (limited) software. I have been told (and read) that this scanner is so so for small format (I don't ue it for this purpose) and is great for medium and large format. I confirm.

I have been scanning Ilford Delta film with the V series and have been please with the results so far. There is a learning curve with any scanner in terms of coming to grips with the right software settings and workflow. In case you weren't aware, please keep in mind that ICE (or FARE if you go with a Canon) will not work with traditional b/w films (it will work with the new c41 process b/w films though).

<p> Doug<p>

<a href="http://www.betterscanning.com">BetterScanning.com</a>

• 2 weeks later...

I've used V700 with Epson Scan and Vuescan. All combinations work very nicely, and the image quality is very good for 35mm and larger negatives. I've measured the *actual* performance on reading dense negatives. You can see the results at the end of this page:

<p>

<a href=http://silvergrain.org/wiki/index.php/Perfection_V700>

Perfection V700 review at silvergrain.org

</a>

<br>

(the article is unfinished and it can get updated any time...)

Some of the b&w photos in my gallery section are also scanned by V700.

<p>

It would be very nice if Photo-i or other review sites do this test and compare scanners like this, especially because Dmax is one of the most hyped catalog spec for scanners.

<p>

The scan quality is best if the film is fine grained and has low fog, as with most other scanners.