Dance photography

Manuel,

I was contracted to shoot native Indian Dancers for a travel catalogue, which is probably not the type of dancing you are doing, but the photo techniques might be similar.

I shot near sunset in the shade at an outdoor venue. I was trying to stop motion but was hurt by my camera's flash sync speed of 1/200, (EOS 3). I think 1/250'th of a second would have done it, I was pretty close.

This dancer was also hopping around and sometimes would jump up beyond the flash coverage and his head would be about a half stop darker than the lower half of his body. I wasn't using an assistant but it would have helped having a second flash trained on him.

I would have liked to forego flash altogether but didn't have time to order high speed film. I also had to speak to the audience explaining why I was shooting the event since they were not allowed to photograph it.

You will find arrogance everywhere. Stay calm. It helps to have a few credentials that you can impress them with such as magazine covers or whatever but if you don't have that, showing self confidence that you are qualified to be there will help ease their swager.

good luck,

Thanks for your comments but i should mention i am an

amateur but have been taking dance photos, mainly Egyptian, semi-professionally for eighteen months with some flamenco.

Recently i went to quite a big latin and ballroom event

but was not allowed to sell my photos. When i asked about how i should

approach organizers i was told the only way i could do it would be to

sell to the dancers. When i mentioned this after the event i got a

most viscious reply saying i was banned from future events. Bearing in mind this was her suggestion i found it incredible.

About two years before that i requested and was denied

permission for photos at our community centre where my photo club is.

On this occasion someone took the place of the professional photographer and i got the blame for it!

By the way, i am based in london. If you are interested

as one of you seems to be to send a couple of photos or if you have a website please let me know

<blockquote><i>

When i asked about how i should approach organizers i was told the only way i could do it would be to sell to the dancers. When i mentioned this after the event i got a most viscious reply saying i was banned from future events.

</i></blockquote>

<p>Sounds to me like a simple case of "someone forgot, or chose to forget, what they said."

<p>Generally, if you're going in to try and sell photos:

<ol>

<li>Talk to the organizers a month or two ahead of the event.

<li>Get a contract. Or at least something written. Include your prices, and arrange a kickback to the organizers (e.g. 10% of your gross sales.) Have someone there sign it; preferably two people.

<li>Talk about pre-marketing; see if they'll add something to the program or signage saying "professional photographs will be available from Manuel's Photo" or something.

<li>Call the organizers a day or two ahead, remind them who you are, and ask them for "early access" to set up your gear, and hopefully watch a rehersal if possible. Find your lines, and leave your tripod in place, otherwise people will take your spot.

<li>When there, be professional. Of course, that doesn't need to be said.

</ol>

<p>Regardless of whether or not you feel dancing is a sport, you have to approach it as sports photography. In other words, if you don't know anything about "the sport," your photos will not be as good as if you can predict what's going to happen next. For example:

<ul>

<li>Most of the flair in cha-cha will be on beat 4, but on beat 3 in rhumba

<li>As a general rule, always photograph the right side of the man; that way, the lead arm won't be blocking your shot.

<li>Learn about musicality and phrasing; music is even more predictable than dancers, and good dancers dance to the music, not just the beat.

</ul>

<p>Semi-obligitory street credentials ;)

<a href="http://www.mambo.net/as/imgsearch/auto/ballroom+dance">

Ballroom</a>

and

<a href="http://www.mambo.net/as/imgsearch/auto/lindy">Lindy Hop

</a>

pictures

<p>Cheers,

<br>Darren