Best wildlife lens for Olympus?

tom díaz

Hiya, folks.

I am thinking about taking some old OM equipment out of retirement

to go on a photo safari. The longest lens I have is a Zuiko 85-

250mm zoon. Now: If you had to pick ONE additional lens for

photographing wildlife, what would that be? Tamron 300mm f/2.8?

Zuiko 350mm f/2.8 (big price difference!)? Tamron 400mm f/4? What?

Thanks in advance!

Obviously the 350/2.8, but it's big, heavy and expensive. The old Tamron 400/4 is also good, but they are hard to find. They haven't been made for at least 10 years, and they weren't highly popular when they were made, so finding one may be pretty difficult. The 300/2.8 is decent, not too expensive and not too hard to find.

There are also a few older Sigma lenses that are OK, like the 500/4.5, but finding one in an Olympus mount could be hard.

I've owned a ratty Tamron 300mm f/2.8 that I've used with a good-quality Nikon 1.4x converter and decent-quality Tamron 2x Adaptall converter to get extra reach. The lens by itself is very sharp. It's almost as sharp with the 1.4x converter. With appropriate technique, good results can be achieved with the 2x converter as well. I know Olympus made 1.4x and 2x converters dedicated for certain lenses, but I don't know if they will work well with the Tamron lens. 2x Adaptall converters may still be available and may be your only option if you want to use a converter.

Thanks to everyone for the answers so far. Very useful. To answer some of your follow-up questions: 1. I will be on a photo safari in South Africa, photographing things from big animals to birds (and probably little insects and flowers with macro equipment). 2. Yes, in a way I am seeking assurance that the Tamron lens would be good enough. I could hold out for the 350mm Zuiko, but this is not the kind of photography I usually do--at all. I am more into street photography with rangefinders. The point about Zuiko resale value is well taken, though. Has anyone used or tested both the Tamron 300mm and Zuiko 350mm?

KEH happens to have the Tamron Adaptall 400mm/4 lens available right now for $499 USD. I almost bought it, but I bought a 300/2.8 from them instead, with both Tamron teleconverters. The 300 is very sharp wide open, is best at f/3.5. It is very good with the 1.4x teleconverter, and slightly less good with the 2x converter. I would expect the 400mm to behave about the same.

Tom, see this thread for a sample picture of what the 300/2.8 can do wide open. I think it is very sharp considering the actual size of the safflower seeds and a distance of about 20 feet (my earlier distance estim ate was wrong). You can ignore the digital artifact of the slight purple fringing on your Olympus.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00CId8

Thanks again to everyone for your answers. I decided to try out a Tamron 300mm f/2.8. I could have bought about eight of them for what the Zuiko would have cost, and it looks like it'll be a good lens. If I'm going to stick with film cameras for this photo safari it seems like a good thing to try, and I have time to change my mind if some field testing doesn't satisfy me.

Tom,

Congratulations on the purchase. I'm sure you'll be very happy with the Tamron.

For what it's worth, the Zuiko 1.4 converter will work with the Tamron adaptall lens. It's also easier to mount... it fits right onto the end of the lens like most other converters. To use the Tamron converter you must first remove the adaptall mount, attach the converter, and replace the mount on the end of the converter.

I have a nice auto Vivitar 400mm f/5.6 that I use when I need a long lens. I took it to Belize and was abe to get some great shots of monkeys with Provia 400 film with an OM2.

It cost me only $60 on ebay. How many shots will you need somthing longer than your 200mm? With decent light and 400 speed film a n f/5.6 lens is just fine.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have had all three for extended shooting and here is my take.

Tamron 400/4 + Zuiko 1.4x-a 1st choice-sharp and not tooheavy

2nd choice Tamron 300/2.8 + Zuiko 1.4x-a

and lastly the heavy Zuiko 350/2.8 lens. The Zuiko 350 is a nice

lens-NOT as sharp as the Tamrons-close but not in my opinion.

If you hear otherwise I am afraid to say they haven't shot with it

and want to believe it so. The Zuiko250/2 is a better lens I have

heard than the 350/2.8.

I love Olympus OM but try out a Canon 500/4 or a 600/4 and see

what why then pro's shoot with them. Amazing glass and fast

focus. Olympus great for all other shooting but not

wildlife/birding on the long end.

Good shooting