Equipment Failure (Con't)

Last Saturday I was shooting an east Indian (Hindu) first day wedding

ceremony. Bride and groom families welcoming each other.

Toward the end of the evening my 20D said I had 38 exposures left. Take a

shot . . . erro2. Couldn't shoot anymore. But all images were on the Lexar

Professional 80X card.

I tried to copy these to the hard drive and I got a not responding warning

everytime from my PC. I tried to use ther recovery software butr to no avail.

The card would read in the camera but not in the computer.

My custom lab recovered the images after 5 or 6 hours and multiple attempts

with various software.

You can snap a flash in half, drop a lens, hell just grab a backup but when

the card goes like Delanza and Collen said its like opening a film back at

12 noon. 10 xtra cards would have done nothing to save the 218 images that

were held hostage by my glitched out card.

If the camera locks up you miss some shots but the card will pound sand in the

past present and future.

Larry,

I have heard about nothing but trouble from Lexar of late. I own an old 1gb card that I won't even use anymore.

I read at poll on another forum where the results of the brand thing was astonishing. Lexar had more faliures that all other brands (Sandisk, Kingston, Ritek, Ibm, Hitachi, etc, etc.) COMBINED by a factor of 2. That was the point at which I quit using Lexar for anything other than testing or studio.

Sorry you had so much trouble, but I am glad you have it sorted.

about two months ago i went to calumet photo for a 2 gig card because they were all on sale and asked the sales guy which would he recommend. he said most canon users get sandisk and nikon user get lexar. i didn't ask why that was the case and bought the sandisk. although i do have a 1 gig lexar card and so far so good. my 20d does sometimes lockup. i take the battery out and then put it back in and it's good to go again without any lost images.

What I know now is that the 80X category was a dog (go to lexar.com)and there is a link to Canon if you are interested. Certain serial numbers are eligible for exchange for versions with new firmware.

On Your 20D err o2 indicates a suspect card.

The Hindu wedding was the most radical cultural departure I have ever been on. Meaning no offense in any way it was a colorful and very family oriented day. It may be the closest I ever get to a Nation Geographic assignment.

I would love to post shots right now but I am tired. I must say that little switch up to a 20D that knows how or has the power to focus has really jacked up my confidence.

Mr. Schilling, although I never assist you directly with your onsite portrait stuff I must say that observing at weddings and looking at your work in the Forum has given me an awesome foundation. Thanks tons, I still think some of your tilt shots are a little hinckey but they havent hindered what I have learned.

It is helpful to be in the same environment as a pro doing right and wrong and thing learning why.

Huh . . . I'M rambling? Hindu wedding in another post soon.

Nice responses everyone thanks.<div>00HAjP-30973784.jpg.b19fe2dc679775fad4d30d04116e5be5.jpg</div>

I had a 512MB 40x Pro Lexar card go bad in a Nikon CP5700 P&S a few years ago. Nothing important was on there, but it scared me. Lexar replaced it, but I've been nervous about Lexar ever since.

Delanza, the Lexar cards have the WA (write accelerated) technology which does not work with Canon.

I've lost pictures using film, so nothing is totally secure. Getting the best and being careful are all you can do.

That's wierd... I got an error2 message at this weekend's wedding. I immediately turned

off the camera, popped out the batteries, took off the lens, and then restarted from

scratch. I didn't have any further problems, and we got every single image off the card.

It seems that a lot of Lexar card problems are caused by not waiting for it to finishing

writing, etc., before moving on to the next thing. E.g., shooting, viewing, deleting,

scrolling through, shooting, deleting, shooting, scrolling, etc. Can't handle it.

We only lost images one time, and then it was only about 20 -- caused by the above

mistake. We've learned never to edit on location, for one -- it's not professional anyway!

AND we've learned that if EVER there's an error, we just take a breather and disassemble

the whole shebang. It always comes back to life with full functionality.

David--even though it looks like Larry's cards wouldn't have functioned correctly in a portable hard drive like the Flashtrax, it is still worthwhile to consider getting one. I just received one as a gift, and I use it at weddings to dump cards to. I don't erase the cards--I carry enough to finish the entire wedding, but it does remove one more bit of worry over losing files, and the hard drive is big enough that I still have files from three weeks ago on it that have been written over on my cards, even if I also have them on my computer already. I carry it on my belt and have it read and write from a just filled card as I continue to work.