Europe visit, which lens to bring? Experiences?

bennett ho

Thanks for the informative suggestions and experiences everyone. Much appreciated.

Weight isn't a big concern as long as the equipment gets used. I wouldn't want to take the 80-200mm if it's not on the camera more than 15% of the time. I can sacrific a bit. Concerning the tele-end, I will give it more thought.

The D2x on the other hand is my workhorse and I intend to take thousands of photos. I don't have a problem with its weight plus it is my only digital SLR right now. I am not going to take a heavy tripod for the trip. Just a compact one.

The toughest decision is between the 12-24mm and 17-55mm. The only time the ultra-wide will be wonderful are for architecture and landscapes. I can't imagine not having it inside a beautiful church or on top of a building overlooking Rome's cityscape. On the other hand the ultra-wide is a little limiting for general photography. So...I believe I will bring both, maybe sneak the 12-24mm inside the wife's handbag. >;)

Oh yeah...concerning the flash, take or leave at home? I can't imagine enough situations for its use to warrant taking it along. Maybe some of you could convince me otherwise...

Yes, definitely, take the flash. With a remote cord so you can get the flash off the camera body. And a table-top tripod. You might well want to view Bob Krist's instructional video on travel photography. He takes you through a series of shoots in European locales -- very informative to watch him work.