Lens stuck

tholte

I have an 18-70 zoom kit lens (for D70) that is stuck on 70mm. I think I may

have some sand that weasled its way into the focusing mechanism somehow. I

don't think it is worth sending in to Nikon to get fixed so I was wondering if

any one has some ideas. I could leave it alone and use at 70mm for a portrait

type lens or I could gamble and twist the heck out of it and see what

happens.

<< ... may have some sand that weasled its way into the focusing mechanism ... >> <p>

Admit it, Tim: that's a common peril in that sandy beachfront paradise many call Milwaukee. (Last Fall on the beach: an <a href=http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=359374>article</a>.<p>

If you like that lens (I do like mine), then before resigning yourself to using it at 70mm fixed, or twisting it violently and possibly breaking it altogether, I'd recommend two calls, and I realize you might have made them already: <p>

- Nikon USA, which I think provides 5 yr warranty service if yours was new USA, and even if a stuck zoom (possibly due to foreign particles) isn't "covered," should at least have some suggestions for you; <p>

- <a href=http://www.focalpointlens.com/fp_intro.html>Focal Point</a>, very reputable firm from everything I've read, and while truly known for repairing optics (vs. mechanical zoom rings, etc.), might still have a few tricks to try before you crank the bejeebers out of that lens. <p>

Always enjoy seeing your photos, Tim.

Michael, good ideas and the article about the Milwaukee beaches was accurate. I knew the sand would catch up to me someday. I am pleasantly surprised that my D70 has with stood the sand, rain, snow etc. much better than most people would think (knock on wood). Errol, maybe I will call Nikon also and just see what the price would be to fix it.

Tim the repair might be worth it. Ebay here in Germany is full of this lens but you still pay around 250 EU because most have a bit of warranty left and the situation may be similar elsewhere. I heard of some sample variation and if you got a copy you like you might have it cleaned. The idea of using it at 70mm as a portrait lens seems not appealing to me - there are cheap primes at ebay that are much better (faster). Good luck.

Walter

i think it's worth sending it to nikon, even if they charge you $175 (might be less).

ditto on the build of the D70. mine survived the two beach weddings that i did in monterey, (one in a drizzle) and a drop-and-roll on the beach of carmel.

of course now i use custom-cut ziplock or that funny-looking tiny umbrella that you attach to the camera. sure gets the smiles and giggles from kids and oldies alike at parks or trails.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine started to literally fall apart. NIkon is fixing it, but its gone for 5-6 weeks. Since its

under warranty, and not a $1000 dollar lens, It seems it would be less expensive to them to

just replace it. Yeah, Tim, you should get if fixed. Its actuall a great little lens isn't it?