is this package of Speedotron Brownline a good deal ?

adzy

I have someone selling the following system. I am an amateur with

about 4 years experience in photography, though I do not know much

about studio lighting.

I have someone selling the following system. COuld you please tell me

what would be a fair price for it ? and what are the things I should

look for.

SPEEDOTRON Brownline

Professional Photography

USED Studio Lighting Kit

1-Power pack D1602 (1600 true Ws)

2-Main heads - M11 (1200Ws max)

2-Small heads - MW3R (400Ws max)

2-Silver umbrellas for M11's

2-Different size snoots for MW3R

1-Barn doors attachment for MW3R

2-Medium size reflectors for M11's

1-Really large reflector for M11's

1-Gel holder

4-Light stands

1-Tri-Level Control

2-Light Head extension cables

1-Large rolling case

The D1602 has got to be a pretty old power pack. The D1604 is the current model and I would guess that has been around for more than 10 years. Any older pack may have capacitors that have lost capacity and may be near the point of failure. When a capacitor fails it can be a spectacular event and will require an expensive repair. If the pack has been stored and not used for many years it almost certainly needs new caps. The M11 heads are a good and versatile head. Even if they are in working condition now you would want to consider the tubes may need replacement in the very near future. The MW3R heads have a very low watt modeling lamp, fixed reflector, I don't use them at all. The Tri-Level control is a handy accessory for the Brownline system. The rest of the stuff may or not be of any value depending on condition. I don't think I would pay more than $400 unless I knew more about the condition and history of the equipment. I have several Brownline packs and heads and think they are a great value for a non-professional like me. I have bought all used equipment but buy carefully and have the ability to make many small repairs myself.

The M11 heads go for $150 used on Ebay. The MW3 heads about $50.

Packs go for $200-$350. The higher wattage packs are in demand and go for a bit more, as do the newer packs like the 604, 1604, etc.

The light stands are highly variable, depending on what they are. You can buy 4 good, new, air cushioned light stands from B&H for $160, so don't overpay for those.

Snoots are $10 or so used. Barn doors and 7" or 11" reflectors are about the same, more for a large (16 inch or more) reflector.

Pay $500-$550 for the set (about what the pack and 2 M11's are worth) with the rest thrown in and it is a decent deal, especially if you don't need to pay for shipping.

I have 3 Speedotron Brownline packs and 8 heads. The older packs are usually fine. I use 2-3 packs at a time to break up heads (main and fill on one pack, background and hair on another), to be able to fine tune power levels, and to get fast rececycle times.

Good luck!

Best,

Michael

Dave, Michael, thank you taking the time to write in all the answers. You have been very helpful.

I usually lurk in the Canon EOS and the Digital Darkroom forums, and looks like there is a lot for me to pick up here. Especially once I get the lights !!!

If you are going to use these with digital, remember the trigger voltages my damage your camera. You should have a low voltage converter between your camera and the pack. Speedotron has one that can plug into your pack or one that mounts to your hotshoe. You could also use a radio trigger.