Camera Bag insert big enough for 4x5 Field Camera ???

david_l.

I have a good-sized shoulder / messenger bag that I have been using to carry around a

Cambo Wide, a few film holders and a Polaroid back for some "street" shooting. I have

been using a shoddily made (by me) camera insert to pad the camera and accessories but

it is falling apart and I need to replace it. I don't want to replace the shoulder bag - it is

perfect for this camera kit, wide flat and weather resistant, and easy access to the camera.

But are there any padded divider systems like Crumpler or Domke that are large enough to

protect my 4x5 - as is it would have to have a pocket / divider / insert interior dimension

of 10"x8"x6" to hold just the camera and a bit of extra room in another pocket / divider /

insert for the film holders. Any suggestions that are not Crumplers (too wide) or Domkes

(to small)?

While not a camera bag, you might want to consider one of the gear bags sold by outdoor and hunting stores for hunting and shooting equipment. I doubt if they will come iwth inserts for your equipment, but the dimensions of teh bag might suit your needs. Joe Smith

have a look at adorama or bh, they have sections devoted to inserts.

adorama list them under accessories -> inserts and dividers

bh -> bags and cases and they have them in different locations.

what is the internal dimensions of your satchel bag?

you can buy the dividers and make one up yourself, purchase the externals that are a little big and cut them down, and then purchase the dividers

Thanks for the response but, again, I already know that the Crumpler and Domke inserts

WILL NOT work. I live a couple of subway stops from B&H, Adorama, Calumet and the

other stores in the city and I have tried them all. I won't need to "cut them down" to fit

since they are all to small to begin with. I know exactly what I want but no one I know of

seems to make it. All it need is a padded insert large enough to hold my 4x5 camera

(dimensions are in the O.P.) is that so wrong???

I know what you're looking for. I did a similar thing to a messenger bag to hold my Mamiya RB67, meter, 2 lenses, bunch of film, etc. It's basically a padded bag that fits snugly to the inside of the messenger bag. There is obviously some loss in the internal dimensions, but not a lot. I've made a couple of these inserts for friends, including one for a backpack. I would be willing to make one for you as well, for a small fee.

• 3 months later...

I've heard of people going to surplus stores and using sleeping bag pads (not the bags themselves, but the pads you put underneath them), cutting them up and making their own inserts. I was going to (eventually) go this route with my now-retired timbuk2 bag.

allan

• 4 years later...