Anyone experienced Gaoersi panorama cameras?

I have a Gaoersi 4x5 which also takes 6x12 back and has a viewfinder for both formats. It also comes with a goundglass and graflok back so that normal sheet and roll film holders and Polaroid back can be used. I like it because it has about 20 mm rise and fall. It is made from solid pieces of metal and can be fully taken apart. It is solid and well made, and the shift works very smoothly. No light leaks. The tripod mount is the simplest and best invention I have seen from any manufacturer. It has the normal screw holes (big and small) but also works as an Arca compatible plate. I did look at the 6x17 and 6x24 models but found them a bit complicated with their variable formats that depend on winding the film based on the numbers at the back. One format is easy enough, but to switch formats in between looked to me like a recipe for disaster. They also seemed a bit more roughly made and prone to problems than the very simple 4x5.

Yes, the 617 is all metal, apart from the wooden handles. The finish, especially in places you cannot see (inside the body) was a bit rough, but not too bad I suppose considering the price. Inside the camera there are flaps that can be used to adjust the film width from 6x12 to 6x15 and 6x17. But to make it work, one needs to play a careful game with the film advance, counting the numbers at the back of the film and lining them up with different marks in the glass window.

• 9 months later...

I haven't tried one of these cameras, though I am interested in possibly getting one. I tried to find an answer to this question but haven't heard back from anyone regarding it. With a 90mm lens what is the closest focusing distance possible with the mount? I looked at the company info and email them but as I said no responce.

Thanks James