Stupid question

Ok, go ahead and laugh. One thing that I learned a long time ago; never point

my leica directly toward the sun with the lens wide open, unless of course you

would like to drill a hole in your shutter without any tools!

What about the M8, with no need for mirrors that are part of DSLR's, is there

anything between the lens and the CCD chip? Is there any protection build into

the camera if you point that thing toward the sun?

Vahe

"but i think is better never point the M8 directly toward the sun,"

The point that I was trying to make was not the potential damage to the camera if one delberately pointed the darn thing towards the sun, very few fools will ever do that.

What concerns me more is the unintentional accidents, say you place the camera down on someting while you are reacing for that stupid cell phone in a moment of panic, all it takes is a minute or less of exposure to full sunlight.

This is why I am wondering if the M8 designers have incorporated any safety measures to prevent the camera from self destruction.

Vahe

Well, I'll keep up my good habit to have the camera allways pointed downwards when

carrying it. Then at least I have one good habit, don't know about the rest ;-( Given the fact

as well the MP as the M8 are going to be draged behind me I might make the misstake to

keep the M8 out of the sun and see my MP going up in flames. BTW it's never ever a wise

thing to expose any photographic tool to enduring heat, front or back.

regards, Fr.

Vahe:

You are being very humble

I always tell people that work with me that there is no such thing as a stupid question - however basic it may seem. A lot can be learned from a simple question & others can also learn as well.

It is stupid to assume you know the answer to something when you do not - this is when it is a problem:) Time to ask ...

Regards

slowest ISO 160; do you need to keep your lens wide open in direct sun? Is fastest speed 1/8000?; suppose you can do it. My problem is remembering to take the lenscap off. Do you think you would remember the first ding on your M8, like, where were you when John Lennon was shot?