Is there a bug limiting the length of posts?

garry edwards

I'm trying to edit a post by adding new links to archived material.

The new links are showing at the editing stage but only a couple of them are

being displayed in the edited version.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00BjHh&tag=

Can this be fixed or do I need to start another thread, which I prefer not to

have to do?

I don't think it's a bug Garry. But if the database is still run under Oracle, the maximum length of the character data type if I recall well is 4000 bytes; unless you modify the data type to Large Object which was not the case at PNet.<p>To save characters, you could try to reduce the address length of URL if they are under PNet zone using a 'relative' URL (omitting /photo.net/ in the URL for instance).

Yes, for instance, instead of typing in the command the full URL address<br> http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=007tNJ<br> It will give you the same result since you are already in PNet server and save you some space if you use the following relative address <br>

<a href="/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=007tNJ">/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=007tNJ</a><br> <p> Limit: if I recall well it has some limitation as PNet uses couple of servers; for instance it doesnt work if you want to link to //thumbs.photo.net/ the gallery server for thumbnails. You need then to give the full URL address

We use the Oracle CLOB data type, so it should work up to 2 billion characters in length. It may be that the old programmers made some undocumented changes to the /bboard software that is limiting the length artificially and/or your browser may impose a limit (our HTML does not). This could be fixed after the ACS 3.4 upgrade (another month?).