high price for 135mm tele-elmarit

skeeter

I did not look at the referenced auction, but the latest 135mm version (just prior to the current Apo version) with the collapsible shade will catch a premium - generally around US $1,000. Prior versions of this lens will fetch much less. This is for no good reason since the optics are the same (with only changes in the lens coatings).

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Actually, now that I have looked at the auction...

This is for the 2.8 version with the goggles. I would agree the closing price was over the top for this lens. Either someone really wanted it, or it was artificially bid up by a friend of the seller.

Top dollar for this lens would be in the neighborhood of US $550-600, but only for the very latest E55 version.

– Yogi Berra

Bill, for a mint condition, late E55 example with case, caps and box, the price can go higher, as I found when I decided I wanted one. IIRC, I paid close to $800 in 2004.

I often read that it should be available for less, but since buying mine, I have kept my eye on FS postings here and I have not seen another one in the same condition, complete with everything supplied by the manufacturer, for less than I paid. The cheaper ones were either the earlier design or not mint or without the caps or case.

In any event, it's a good lens and the only practical choice if you use a .58 viewfinder, as I do.

"... a mint condition, late E55 example with case, caps and box, the price can go higher, as I found when I decided I wanted one..."

Ok... I will grant you that this lens can sell for more. And I would agree that when I decide I want something and a truly mint example comes along, I will pay a premium.

But common! You have to agree $990 is over the top, and the one in question is the older version with a series VII filter retaining ring.

– Yogi Berra

Yup, I would agree that $990 for the older version is way out of line. For money like that, you could almost buy a user body with 135 framelines AND a Tele-Elmar. You'd be giving up f/2.8 but getting the sharpest lens Leica ever made in the pre-APO days.

I wonder whether Elmarit prices are being driven up by the lens's compatibility with the M8. It would give the angular coverage of a 180mm lens on a film camera, and the combination of goggles plus viewfinder magnifier would give a larger-than-lifesize view.

i don't think so. my friend bought the same lens from adorama (via ebay) the week before for $305. he said there were minor cosmetic issues (it was a used lens......) but the glass was perfect. i still think you can get a superb lens of this type for around $400. just couldn't figure out if there was something i was missing....like a rare variety of lens or something, but it doesn't look like it. i'm guessing my friend's $305 lens will take just as good a pic as the $990 lens, assuming they buyer actually uses it, which may be doubtful given the price.

paul i think you are incorrect. this is straight from cameraquest.

135/2.8 Tele-Elmarit 1963, discontinued 1997, is a rather large lens with a built in 1.4x optical magnifier to increase the size of the camera's frameline and accuracy of the camera's focusing. This allows you to effectively use the larger 90 mm frameline on your M2/4/5/4-2/4-P/6. This increase in focusing accuracy also works with the earlier M3. Not a popular lens on the used market due to its large size. All versions are black, with detachable lens head for Viso work and built in hoods.

Focusing ring with heavy ribs, magnifier attached by screws

Focusing ring with heavy ribs, magnifier cast into lens body

Focusing ring with fine ribs

1975 Two piece extendable hood became one piece, optical design now same as R lens

"135" added on barrel

Skeeter, cameraquest is a great online resource, but I think in this case Paul is right. I just checked my Leica brochures for the period in question, and cameraquest appears to be wrong on two counts: the name of the lens and the magnification of the goggles. Think about it: to make the 90 frame lines usable for the 135, the magnification would have to be 1.5, not 1.4.