First few Rollei 2.8F results

rahul_deshpande1

I like #1 and #3. Looks like you have some shadow and highlight clipping in both--more so

the shadows. This could be due to either (or both) inadequate exposure (ie rating film at too

high an EI) or your VueScan settings.

You're on your way. I love MF film!

You do have a great camera to use, but the photos you have posted are really bad. I can't tell if your original exposures are way over-exposed, or over-developed or both,but there is no contrast and the highlights are blown out. I do not know how much experience you have with processing, but look at the negatives, and see if you can see printing though the densest part when you lay the negatives on a page of print.If you can't, then the film is over-developed, which is my guess looking at the prints. I assumed that you were looking for some information on how to make your photos better and not just doing a show and tell. I would suggest finding a good book in the library on developing and exposure and working from there , to get to a final image that your are proud of. You seem to have a good eye and you have a great camera , just work on the basics tools of B&W photography to get better.

The film frame numbers and info along the edges are automatically exposed when the film is

made. Compare the # 16 on the right edge of photo No. 2, Marquee, to those same indicator

numbers on Photo No 1 and Photo No 3. The roll with the #16 was way overdeveloped and

that's why you have no contrast in the negative. If development time and temperature is

correct, the pre-exposed frame numbers and film information should be "perfect."

Thanks for the responses, I AM looking to improve my processing skills. I know for a fact that the negs are overexposed since they are too dense to begin with. I am using a Canon P&S digicam to meter. Also, my scanner is not the best, I'm not using a film holder either.

P.S: The Marquee shot wasn't taken through glass.

With respects to those who've responded:

1. agree that a scanner upgrade should be your next acquistion; it's undermining the quality potential of your images.

2. looking at the first and the third images, I suggest that you are underexposed (poor shadow detail) and overdeveloped (blown highlights). The highlight problems are worse in the first than in the third; you have some blown highlight detail in the high windows in the third image, but it could be that they are just way beyond the film's tonal range. Your third image is the least afflicted and the closest to being an acceptable negative.

Try shooting at half to two-thirds the film's rated ISO speed, and decrease your development by around 15-20% for starters. This may be too far but it's a start. Stick with one type of film and one developer at first until you know them well, and prepare to sacrifice a few rolls to find out what EI (=your "personal" ISO number) and development time give you the best results. In general, "thinner" negatives scan better.

Changes in development time tend to affect highlight areas (ie the "dense" regions of the negative) much more than shadow ("thin" negative regions) areas, so above a certain "threshold" development time that develops those shadow regions, further development time affects those areas little but determines highlight density.

Keep at it, it ain't rocket science, but it takes practice. Learn and enjoy, that's really the point of it all.