film for things like windowlight. I've been asked to used my Hasselblad 503cx

using B&W film next week for the formals. I've used the blad a lot in the past,

but only for landscapes and studio portraits. The formals will be outdoors. I

have a TTL flash for it. I have a stash of APX 100 so I'll probably use that

and something faster for my other back.

I probably shouldn't be nervous, but anytime I'm asked to use equipment at a

wedding that I've never used in that setting I shudder a bit. Any advice? Any

gotchas that I might not be aware of?

If you know that with print film, you overexpose when you doubt and maybe just generally (1/2 stop or so), and you know what your TTL flash will do in similar conditions (how much to pull back for fill flash, etc.), there are no gotchas. Maybe forgetting that the Hassy syncs with flash up to 1/500th shutter speed :^)

Now that I'm thinking about it, you might want to do a meter TTL test with the plastic, multi purpose back (the one with the gray square on it) just before leaving for the wedding, and to perform the shutter opening visual test before shooting the formals--back off, flash on, fire the camera, verify that you see the flash through the back of the camera and that the iris is opening and closing and the shutter gates are operating correctly.

Thanks everyone. Main thing I forgot was the 1/500 sync speed. Should I use the 80mm or the 150? 150 seems better but I'm not sure the flash has enough reach (it's the 'Hasselblad' flash which is actually an under-powered Sunpak). I'll be doing the rest of the wedding 35mm Nikon and don't want to bring too much gear.

80mm for the formals and groups (in fact, 60mm would be better for groups), 150mm for half lengths and close-ups. Use this way, you should have plenty of power from the D40 Flash for fill. Don't use the 150mm for full lengths in the bright sunlight, for instance. This is where you might not have enough flash power.

Yep, use the 80 or a 60 for the groups. Also remember that just the opposite is required for negative film, compared to digital. Don't under expose it. If you haven't shot with the blad's in a while, as others have said, do a test roll and keep an eye out for light leaks and overlapping. I change these seals every year on my backs.

when I use my hasselblad for formals, I have to shoot about 4 takes of every combination

on a tripod, refocusing with every try. (It might just be my eyes, but it's so hard to get the

hasselblad properly focused when you're under pressure and people are waiting for you)

they turn out so beautifully though! when they really are in focus, they're just gorgeous.

also, if I have nice shade, I like to do some with flash and some without.

Lisa, I had the same problem ... especially with wide angles in a dark church.

A Finder prism and a flip magnifier solved it completely. Easier than focusing a 35mm AF

camera when the focus points aren't landing in the right place.

Lisa,

I have a rule that says never over-run the schedule unless everyone wants to keep on

going.

At my last wedding, I'd don what i could within my time slot and the hotelier called 5

minutes for dinner. The bride then decided she would like a quick portrait with her

mother/sister/school friend/work colleague/ grand parents friends ....... about 15 more

in 5 minutes.

It was manic for me and I presumed it would be hit and miss, even with my Leica. Every

image was sharp as a tack and all in frame. Posing was not the major consideration, but

the images were secured even though this is not how I like to work. Hope she is pleased

when she returns from honeymoon on the 5th July.

I shoot a Hasselblad for other work and there is no way I could have managed the situation

so quickly with a tripod. Being mean with film, I generally wouldn't shoot 4 shots of

anything and trust it's in the camera after 1 or 2, but I don't criticise you for that

approach. Something I should do more of no doubt. :-)

This afternoon, I've won a 24-on back for my Hasselblad on ePay, so maybe it will come

with me occasionally. Should make it more useable.

Anybody prefer the 24-on 120 film back ?

I use 220 backs almost exclusively and 120 backs only when I need to use a specific emulsion or shoot just a dozen pictures. 24 exposures per roll sure saves lots of reloading. If you have multiple backs and an assistant that can reload the backs, that's an advantage too.

If you have a prism and a grip for the 'blad, I would give them a try (before the wedding, of course). I shoot with Bronica SQ and Mamiya TLR a lot, both equipped with a grip and a prism and it's quite similar to using 35mm manual focus SLR (nothing really difficult).

Definitely take both lenses with you. 80mm will be significantly brighter and easier to focus but 150mm should not be much of a trouble either (at least not outdoors).

Garry, today I was talking to a lady photog. Until she retired from shooting weddings (this year), she shot Hasselblads, and only shot 220. If she shot 120 she would have to change backs twice as often. And she said she averages 25 rolls of 220 per wedding. 120 would be twice the number of rolls that her assistant would have to change. And she would need more A12 backs, to have the same number of shots that she has with her A24 backs.

Pavel & Garrry,

Thanks. The 220 back arrived and is in great condition. I'm sure that shooting 24 before

reload is a much better prospect. I suspect that a roll of 220 will last longer than a roll of

36x35mm on the basis of greater care and more precise setup. That may not be a good

thing as spontaneity is a great asset with my Leicas.

I have always found shooting weddings with a tripod mounted camera to be a chore. Since

abandoning the tripod and relying on a Leica table top tripod, plus f1.4 when needed,

shooting weddings are so much more fun and I mean fun. All the wedding pics on my web

site are hand held, see g....s.com

The little tripod is a boon, enabling crisp 35mm shots at 1/8 sec with the tripod pulled

against my chest, and now I have the 24-on back, I might give the Hass a wedding

assignment.

I have been using a Mamiya 7 hand-held for some shots, but it's surprising how different

the 'feel' of the images are from the Leica pics and I find it a bit distracting in an album.

The 7 is 220 capable as well.

Gary

Gary, Since you shoot with Liecas, I would use the Hasselblad as a tool. Use it where it is most appropriate...FOR YOU. Maybe in your case it would be just for the formals. Although if you do plan to use it as part of your gig, I would get a 2nd A24 back. Otherwise you could be in a situation where you have to stop to reload the back in the middle of shooting the formals. With 2 backs, your assistant could be reloading the 1st back while you are shooting the 2nd. Also if one back acts up on you, you have the 2nd back to fall back on.

Thanks Gary.

I have 3 backs for the Hasselblad. The recently acquired 220 and 2 120 backs. That

would

enable to reload at some point.

The Leicas are fine for any album pictures, but it would be nice to have MF negatives of

the shots that will/might get enlarged for framing. Not so much the group shots, more

the portraits taken with my 120mm Makro Planar.

I also have an SWC/M which will take the backs. Handy for the preparation of the bride

and a wide group shot with the B&G in the foreground. It's the flexibility of the 'blads that

make them so useful.<div>00HFKw-31100384.jpg.569a8d0fae1f7ff041ac2cb61cb39b9a.jpg</div>

Gary, I dunno about mixing the A12 and A24 backs, that means you have to carry both 120 and 220 film and keep track of them and not load the wrong one in the wrong back. I'm a strong beliver in the KISS principle, since Murphy visits me more often than I would like.

I agree with you about using MF for the shots that will be blown up. Although for work flow sake I would not be jumping between them too much. Maybe you can group the formals that use the 6x6 together so you are not switching cameras so much.

Although I remember a post where someone said to pull out the 4x5 view camera for the group formal. That would be neat to see their reaction.

Gary