Best camera strap for Canon Digital SLR?

When I opened the box for my new Canon 20D, and took out the strap provided, I wasn't

thrilled. For many years I had used Domke gripper straps on Leica and Nikon film

cameras. These unobtrusive black, no-nonsense straps have quick-release swivels that

help eliminate the fuss of getting the strap configured right when you pull the camera out

of the bag. Though similarly made, the Canon strap was embroidered with Canon

advertising and there were no swivels in the design. It also seemed wider than

necessary for me, since I do not use extremely long, heavy lenses. Despite these

misgivings, on the advice of an experienced pro, I laced on the Canon strap; モIt just

means you've arrived,ヤ he had told me. But the strap continued to bother me; just when I

wanted to think about pictures I often had the distraction of untangling my strap; and

being a billboard for Canon was never to my taste. Time passed and a few days ago I

crossed paths with one of the top photographers with the St. Louis Post-Dispatch busy on

assignment. Both of his 1D cameras had Domke straps. This got me thinking again, and

last night, when nobody was looking, I pulled the Canon strap off the 20D and equipped

it with a Domke strap swiped from an old Nikon F. Sorry, Nikon. This strap is going

places. Anybody else out there as picky about neck straps?

I'm the same way, the 20D's strap is awful. It gets tangled, it's too stiff, and I hate the rubber stuff because it makes your neck sweat. After 4 hours of carrying around a 20D with a 300 IS and using that strap, I had enough. <a href="http://www.actioncustomstraps.com/Custom_Camera_Straps/custom_camera_straps.html">Action Custom Straps </a> has a great selection of premium leather and snake skin straps. The premium python is my favorite. These things are really comfortable. They don't have swivels, but they have quick release clips, and aren't prone to getting tangled or twisted.

Hi Charles,

Oh boy did your post made me laugh. It made me think at how much we are all picky about particular things when it comes to our equipment. While I'm not picky about neck straps, I do have to admit that I'm quite picky about other things such as the choice of towels to clean a cheap UV filter (it just has to be "that" towel and not another type).

I own both Nikon and Canon, and when I got my first Canon I was disappointed with the neck strap that came in the box myself. While, the Nikon strap was thick, soft, long, solid and very comfortable; the Canon was a bit short, cold and rugged on the side facing the back of my neck. It also sticks to your skin, and is not nearly the same quality as the other one. What I discovered when walking into a photo shop is that both Nikon and Canon make many straps of different quality, most photo shops just don't keep them. When I got my Nikon the person who sold it to me gave me something much better than what they usually give to people who buy a Nikon.

As far as the "advertising" goes, it's quite simple. There are two main reasons for that. The first is the Nikon vs. Canon competition (should I say "war") that is still quite strong (been for years). Kind of like Coke and Pepsi. Both want the photographer to be proud of their equipment and to associate their respective names to top quality.

The second is the funniest. The photo manufacturers basically respond to the market needs. Although it's slowly becoming equal, the market is still mostly men and not women. And we men are funny. We treat our camera equipment like we treat our cars... and motorcyles... and golf clubs... and our big tv... and... you get the point. We love them, we personalize them, and oh boy do we like to brag about them.

When the everyday point and shoot amateur sees a sports photo professional on tv, shooting like crazy, using amazing lenses, standing right next to the field like he's god or something, he just can't help to be impressed. He already likes photography and that is to him "the" next level. Rest assured that this guy spotted that big Nikon or Canon (or whatever name) logo on the neck strap of this photographer. By watching a football game he "found" the answer to all his questions ("if I ever buy pro photo equipment, I should look into getting a "xxxxxx" brand camera") because that's what this professional uses. Doesn't make much sense right? But that's how many people think and the photo manufacturers know that. So they simply respond to that.

Somebody told me a long time ago that women just take the damn bloody camera, go out there, and shoot. We (men) spend hours and hours talking about our equipment instead of just going out there and take the bloody pictures - hehehe.

No matter what is on the camera strap, I entirely agree with you that the best camera straps have swivels on them. I think about all the time that I spend turning my camera strap in the right direction so it's not tiwsted and man, that's a lot of time :)

I found your post very interesting and it made me think a lot. Just as much as I love the fact that my camera bag as has strap with swivels on it, I would probably like a camera strap with swivels on it too. Small details about small little annoyances that you never spend time thinking about.

Boy did you hit a nerve. I've always hated the "advertising straps" even when they were designed pretty well. I've tried many of the namebranded "pro" straps and to me they are either cumbersome or ugly. I finally dug around in the nooks and crannies of my junk boxes and found some old straps which I began putting back to work. However...many of them just couldn't hold up to the demands of the job....especially the leather ones which over the years had cracked and lost their elasticity. My solution was to make my own...using measurements for my body...summer attire...fall attire and winter attire. So far I've had excellent luck with black strapping used from climbing shops, and earlier this year I ventured into crafting some leather straps. It is interesting...in that occasionally people stop me and ask where I bought my "old fashioned" straps. Yes there are some magnificent strap makers (Like Luigi)...but expensive. Early this summer I began repairing leather half cases where the straps attach to the case instead of the camera body (less possibility of the camera lugs coming loose). I've got three completed and in spite of my distaste for cases in general, really like the looks and functionality of some of the well designed cases of the 1960s.

The Canon neck strap that came as standard with all the 1-series film cameras is the L3. It is fairly narrow, very very strong, and very flexible, and although it has 'Canon' on it, the lettering doesn't exactly jump out at you. The L4 came as standard with the 1D, and is identical apart from having 'DIGITAL' on it as well. There is now an L5 for the 1DII, don't know how that differs. I am probably in a minority of one in far preferring these straps to the ones that could be used at a pinch as car safety harnesses, and the first thing I did when I got my 20D was to buy an L4 strap for it.

I bought a $20 Optech Pro strap when I got my 30D, and the Canon strap is still in the plastic wrap. It is the first camera strap I actually find comfortable to use, and I will never go near another strap without quick releases.

Roisin - Sorry if I upset the tree huggers on this forum. I own 3 pet snakes. Also, I was simply recommending the company, not that particular strap. The company also makes leather straps. I said the select python was my personal favorite. You missed the forest for the tree...

I too was immediately put off by the gigantic advertising strap that came emerged from

the box with the Canon 5D. What a dumb thing to advertise CANON DIGITAL in big bold

letters as you try to walk inconspicuously shooting street scenes and not wishing to

advertise the latest equipment to potential thieves. After 2 seconds of that wide

rubberized inner strap irritating my neck on a hot day I knew a different strap was

necessary.

The strap that came with my Mamiya 6 (I think) proved to be an ideal replacement. Just

thick enough, supple, discrete (no lettering) and the underside is of some material which

does not irritate bare skin.

The Canon 5D is a camera dream come true. I applaud Canon's packing of this camera, all

recyclable cardboard, no Styrofoam. But the strap they include is crass and crappy and

cheapens an otherwise very fine camera.

I second the op/tech strap. Although it doesn't have swivel, it's nice and comfy and being

able to remove most of the strap is great and the two snap ends connect together for a baby

strap.

I've seen quite many responses in favor of the Optech strap today. I'm seriously thinking about getting it. However, I have to say that the two quick release snaps scare me to death.

Did anybody ever have an issue with one of the releases coming off on their own? Take any SLR body with an internal metal casing, add a vertical grip (double the batteries), put a lense or zoom on it (I'll choose my EF 70-200 f/2.8L at 1,3KG - 2.9lbs) and I assume you've got a scenario for a disaster. Suddenly I have about 4lbs of material around my neck and it all holds by two little pieces of plastic on each side. I have a feeling I'll be crying like a baby as soon as I go down some set of stairs (moderate movement which can bring the tension to 5-6 lbs).

I need help (smiles). I'm unable to see the point of quick releases. When you unlock one side, the camera strap suddenly slides across your neck instead of taking it over your head (ok so maybe). But why would you want to do that? The >>only<< time my camera strap comes off anyway, is when I'm done with the shoot and that I need to put the camera away, either a bag, a desk, or a table. I wouldn't dare risk hanging thousands of dollars of equipement around my neck without the safety net that is a regular strap (no quick release).

This post is about high-end Canon Digital SLRs. The suggested 20D is semi-pro or advanced amateur level, which means "mucho" money (I have the 30D).

Please tell me. Am I being too over protective of my equipm... ...baby here.

I'm entirely with you, Yves. If anything can go wrong, it will, and removing a potential point of failure from the system is just common sense. The L3/4 straps have no joins from one material to another that might give way, and in my use of them since 1990 I have never known the buckle mechanism, once tightened, to shift by even the smallest amount. Also, the strap is small and flexible enough that it just packs away with the camera body, and there's no need even to consider anything other than leaving it permanently attached. But it's a matter of personal choice; sharing my own preference doesn't mean I expect anyone else to take any notice!

The only time I've ever had a camera strap come loose was when the strap had worked loose from the little clamps that it was threaded through (my fault for not checking regularly). Now, after I put a strap on a camera, I sew the strap material into place so it won't come loose. I've been using quick-release straps for as long as I can remember (I like the Tamrac straps with the WIDE spongy area in the shoulder--much more comfortable than any other strap I've tried), and I've never had a quick-release connector fail. After snapping the quick release into place, I'll give it a strong tug to make sure it's secure. After that, I don't worry about it.

Regarding quick releases, there are times when they come in mighty handy.

Example: I'm high up in a construction site, wearing the required hard hat. I

want to swap cameras for one in my shoulder bag, without the hassle of

taking off the hat (and what would I do with that?). Solution: unhook one quick

release and voila! Another example: extreme cold; I'm wearing a heavy parka

and the camera strap is threaded inside the clumsy hood. Total nuisance to

flip down the hood to remove said camera. Solution: unhook one quick

release and voila! Likewise I can re-attach camera without removing hat or

hood (a bit tricky with the hood, but workable). Another example: blazing

sunshine; I'm wearing a cowboy hat and I've got it snugged down with a chin

strap in the wind. The camera is around my neck. Easiest and most

convenient way to remove said camera: unhook a quick release. Older

shooters will recall that in the old days we had leather straps with one quick

release metal snap on one side. The new ones seem to work just as well.

These releases have never failed me in many decades. If you never wear hat

or hood, though, I don't see why you'd ever miss them.

I have a LowePro strap that is like the OpTech with hemmed edges. It also has swivel clasps. The elasticity of the strap buffers the weight of the camera when walking, so I use it on a camera with a battery grip and larger lens. It makes the camera feel lighter and is definitely more comfortable. The Domke and stock Canon straps have no elasticity and don't have that benefit. I do use a Domke gripper strap on a camera with a fitted case and no battery grip when travelling light.

I appreciate all the comments. Glad I'm not the only one to prefer no

advertising on my gear. Stephen Lewis, I doff my cap to your ingenuity. Your

comments brought back memories of the beautifully crafted brown leather

cases on my old Rolleiflex and Zeiss cameras of the 1960s. I should never

have traded them in! ... I still like swivels, so the Op/tech strap is probably not

for me, but the Lowepro's elasticity sounds intriguing. Thanks, and happy

shooting!<div>00GgML-30181484.thumb.jpg.3bbb51aeea24a0d650ce04f990a5972e.jpg</div>

• 1 year later...

Rather amazed that no one has mentioned the UPStrap:

http://www.upstrap-pro.com/

Back when I purchased my Canon 5D I knew there was no way I was going to carry it around with the cheap 'billboard' strap that cam with it.

UPStrap are pretty hardcore and even have a strap that has Kevlar built into it.

When you invest the amount of money a purchase of a 5D requires don't you want something that can withstand the yang of a mugger running by at top speed. Yea, the yank might break your shoulder or neck, but you'll still have the camera.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...