Whats up with this site? Trying to get involved

phxmark123

I recently found this site and wanted to try it out. I started uploading info

on me and a couple pictures only to find some of my info, folders, camera

equipment not showing up in my workspace or other areas. This is not a very

good way to manage a site if you want new members. Please help

Many of the site contents are not updated in real time. That is, if you upload a photo or some other items, they do not appear until the site is scheduled to update that category of information in the database. This is done because there are so many users and so many hits that it would slow the site too much to do these things in real time. Give it a little while and don't be too impatient.

I looked at your workspace and I see your ratings, two photos, this forum posting, and a short biography. What's missing?

One way NOT to make friends and influence people is to start out by making accusations about malfunctions/things not working etc., or statements that could be read as such, when a simple question, 'how does this work?' and 'is this the way it works, or does this represent a problem?' is much more polite and more likely to leave a positive impression.

The French have a word called 'la politesse' and it's not out of place on Photo.net, which is comprised of a worldwide commnity of many diverse people with one common interest -- photography and usually bettering their own and often promoting the 'art'.

The best way to attain that goal for yourself (as I did not so long ago) is to sit back, and watch, ask polite questions where possible, don't make accusations ever, (this is a privately-run, for-profit site and they do have the power to sanction you) and recognize that although you provide content, there are thousands, tens of thousands or even more people who are willing content providers, but there's only one Photo.net (there are, of course, other places to go, but this site is generally pretty imcomparable, despite its quirks.)

I suggest you take a step back, take a big deep breath, exhale, and save your zealous energy for stalking those wonderful photos. That's what I try to do, even when not always thrilled by everything on this site (or expecting to be).

I save my 'zeal' for 'pursuing' my own form of excellence in my own various genres and styles of photography.

Welcome to Photo.net, where if you ask 90% of members with experience a question they mostly will respond with a helpful answer, and others who don't often just don't understand because of language difficulties, because they don't monitor their e-mail (or even perhaps because of other, extraneous things, like company Internet policy, keeping together a marriage and children, etc.)

And if you ever do have a question, you may address it personally to me (my e-mail address is my name @ photo.net) and if I'm availiable, I'll try to respond with alacrity.

I hope you enjoy your experience here. I have immensely.

John (Crosley)

Mark, not sure why you had this initial hiccup but all I can say is that Photo.net has been the best photographic value for $25 that I have ever got. I am a dim-wit when it comes to computers and the technicalities of maintaining a site such as this, however, I have had no trouble whatsoever using the site. I've found that it runs remarkably smoothly. And there is plenty of room for dissent and criticism as can be seen in various threads on the site feedback forum. In my opinion other similar sites just dont compare to the quality of Photo.net.

Sorry all it wasn't my intent to sound rude. Thanks for the advice on patiece. It was my first time here and didn't know if it was a glich, which I see it was or the norm. Thanks for the comment on my sidewinder picture and I have added more to my folder. Please comment as I am self teaching.