Pentacon Six lenses

erwan_louet

I have had very good experience in the 35mm world using m42 screw mount zeiss

lens on Pentax K mount bodies. I was wondering if anyone tried using the

Pentacon Six Zeiss lenses from the 70s onto a Pentax 645. Are these good quality

in today's standards ? Any experience on the subject out there ?

There are some really good (and CHEAP)lenses from E.Germany and Ukraine. I'm especially fond of my 180 mm Sonnar and 50 mm Flektogon (both Zeiss Jena) as well as my Ukrainian 120 mm Vega. I use these lenses on a Pentacon Six and an Arax 60 (a reworked Kiev 60 that is MUCH better than the Pentacon IMO). However, although there are inexpensive Ukrainian adaptors to use P-6 lenses on the Pentax (and Mamiya)645 cameras AFAIK all adaptors (including the expensive German ones)loose automatic diaphragm operation.

Erwan,<br>

You will find a lot of informations about cameras and lenses on the <a href="http://www.pentaconsix.com/">Pentacon Six </a> website.<br>

About lenses, they are decribed on <a href="http://www.pentaconsix.com/LensTest.htm">this page </a> of the same site.<br>

Several pictures of the same scene taken with different lenses are also available, and you will see the angle of coverage and the quality of each lens tested.<br>

A very fine site, IMO, the best on these cameras.<br>

Another great site comparing lens quality is this one:

http://www.rickdenney.com/mother_lens_test.htm

I personally use some CZJ and Kiev lenses on a Pentax 645 with an adapter and find them very good. There are some lenses like the Arsat 35mm fisheye, the Arsat 55mm shift lens, the CZJ 180mm f2.8 and the Hartblei 500mm mirror lens that simply are not available from Pentax but which work well with an adapter on a 645 (or a Mamiya 645 for that matter). The only difficulty is the need to use them in stop-down mode as there is no auto-aperture linkage like you get using Pentax 67 lenses on a 645. But of course you are working on a tripod and taking your time ;-)

Regards, Ross

Here's a site that compares east vs west Zeiss lenses:

http://www.pauck.de/marco/photo/stuff/zeiss_west_east/zeiss_west_east.html

When I look at the MTFs I see that the newer, western lens (APO similar to Pentax lenses using ED glass) have higher contrast and higher resolution over the field. Based on this, the P6 lenses would produce pretty good images but that in the 10/10 situation the newer, advanced lenses would be better.

I've adapted a late MC Prakticar 500 f/5.6 to Rollei SL66. I think I got the infinity focus off just a bit because images of the moon are much softer than results from a Canon 300 f/4L or from similar lenses I've seen on the 'net. I've since machined a bit more off the lens but haven't confirmed results on film. In spite of that, the lens does do a good job and I'm pleased with the results for the price.

FWIW, Duane

I have had both Carl Zeiss Jena lenses for my Pentacon Six TL & Carl Zeiss lenses for my Hasselblad (C, CT*, & CFi). The Jena lenses do not even come close to approaching the sharpness and resolution of the single-coated Hasselblad C lenses (old chrome barrel), let alone the newer CF & CFi lenses. However, they do have very nice bokeh & produce very pleasing images. I have also had the Mamiya 645 & used the Pentacon lenses on that, too. I found the Mamiya 645 lenses to be about on par with the Zeiss Jena leneses. If you decide to go ahead with the CZJ lenses, be sure to check all aperture settings. It is very common for these older lenses not to stop down at all apertures.