Can this be true?

I recently sent some old slides to HomeMovieDepot.com and they were suppose to

run each image through ICE, ROC and other enhancements/scratch removals. I

attached a crop of one of the slide. Does it look like it's been run through

what I was promised?<div>00IGkR-32721084.thumb.jpg.0f1b0439de2671fa83916a1cf3ba3eb1.jpg</div>

I had the other slides done by them that arent so badly scratched as this one, but you can see all scratches and stuff like they werent run through anything at all, just pure scans with/ maybe some color corection. I have a cheap Epson V100 scanner that is capable of scanning slides, obviously at the lower resolution, but honestly I did the same scan and it looks identical scratches wise. So I suspect they turned ICE off to save time on me

<p>Doesn't look like ICE has been used, but to be honest, given the state of your transparency it's unlikely to make much difference. I think it's beyond what ICE is calibrated to deal with. I also think it's beyond the ability of the average high street or internet mini-lab to fix.</p>

<p>But you can get these scratches removed with a drum scan. The only realistic way to get the scratches out is to have the transparency saturated in solution prior to scanning to fill in the defects. A drum scan will clean this up for you quite easily, so try a pro lab; they'll give you more mileage.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Hi Jerry -</p>

<p>I suspect that ICE was applied and simply couln't reduce the effects of the deep scratches on this slide. A more aggressive application of ICE may reduce the effect, but probably at the expense of detail in the image and overall sharpness. If this is Kodachrome, that brings in other issues with ICE.</p>

<p>Beyond that... it doesn't look like any effort at all was applied in post processing the image or in setting up the scanning software. Looking at the histograms of the full image that you posted shows that the black and white points have not been set appropriately (meaning that data was "left on the table" during the scanning process). It appears to me that no post processing (except perhaps some cropping) was applied to this image.</p>

<p>My guess is that this was processd by a technician that doesn't have the necssary skills to do a good job for you. Or, the company simply won't devote enough time to each slide to allow a good job to be done. Are the rest of the images that you had scanned equally poor? The Nikon 5000 can do a wonderful job... but simply owning one and putting it on your website doesn't mean that you will get good quality scans.</p>