Digignorance - need opinions on P&S

Yet another family member wants to get a small ( fit in purse ), compact ( no

lens protruding or not much ) digital camera for happy snapping.

Budget around $125 - 75 quid.

Not an area where I am able to be a great deal of help so your input more than

welcome ( something like a Minolta Xt or Xg to put it in perspective ).

( Hope no-one is offended by such a basic request but it may result in another

photographer joining the ranks - we all started somewhere. )

Got latest Nikon P4 and seems better than Canon S40, S50, and S70 that I owned and they failed after warranty.

Red eye, that was so much troublesome in other pocket cameras, seems to be taken care of by both Red Eye Reduction and Red Eye Removal, both in the camera, if you program it properly.

VR (Vibration Reduction) seems to work fine, and practically prevents blured pictures, but certainly cannot eliminate every photographer fault.

The start up is much faster, and about right for extending the lens and getting camera ready.

Has multiplicity of modes, as well as Aperture priority mode for more advanced photographers.

All good pocket cameras retract lens, and hide completely, so your requirement to have "no lens protruding" seems unreasonable, or you are looking for a junk camera ?

Just go to any photo dealer and try for yourself, then you can get it elsewhere for a lower price. The extruding lens only bothered me for taking a second upon startup, and it hides flat when you turn off the camera.

The only problem will be for you that it is twice the cost you want to spend, from the lowest price vendors on the Internet.

If you want to be a "photographer joining the ranks", you may need to start with a good camera like P4, or else you will certainly be getting another camera soon, or never join the ranks.