SD-8 and SC-16A

em_user

I tried to post this to an old existing thread about SD-8 to SD-8A conversion thinking it would bring that

thread to the top but it didn't. So I'm posting a new question. <p><p>Apparently Nikon makes a power

connecting cord called the SC-16A used to connect the SD-7 (C cell battery pack) to newer flashes like the

SB-800. Why can't this cord be used to effectively convert an SD-8 to an SD-8A? See <a href="http://

www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?

O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=330651&is=REG&addedTroughType=search">link to product at

B&H</a>.

Hi David, I cannot answer your question, but I do have a possible solution for your SD-8 for use on the SB-800. Send it to Nikon repair and they will convert the plug to the one found on the SD-8a for about $30-35. I had mine done by Nikon about 4 months ago after I sent Nikon repair an email. It works fine and looks just like a new SD-8a. Joe Smith

David, here is the response from Nikon that I got about the conversion of the cord for the SD-8 to fit the 8A. Mike

Please ship it to our factory service center at the following address:

Nikon Photo Service Center

841 Apollo Street, Suite 100

El Segundo, CA 90245

Please include a note describing the problem, as well as your name, address, telephone number and any other contact information you may think we need. We recommend shipping the product insured via a carrier that provides you with a tracking number. Please enclose the product in a plastic bag and pack it in a sturdy box with several inches of a quality packing material on all sides. Please do not ship the product in its original box, and please send only equipment you wish to have repaired. Keep a record of the model and serial number. We will send a service estimate for your approval. The cost is $36.00.

Repair information is available on-line. We will send you a service order number shortly after we receive your product in for service. Once you have your service order number, you may approve or refuse an estimate, obtain information on the status of a repair, obtain a package tracking number, or e-mail a question to our service department. Please log on to www.nikonusa.com and click on "Service" at the top of the home page.

Thanks for using Nikon products!

• 4 weeks later...

Sandor, this seems like the logical solution to me. But, perhaps there is a reason Nikon has

not suggested this as an answer to the conversion problem. From what I understand, the

SC-16 (square plug for older speedlights) and SC-16A (rounded plug for newer speedlights)

are detachable cords made for the SD-7 (C-cell battery pack). I think the SD-8 cord is

permanently attached to the SD-8. Could adding this "extension" cause a voltage problem?

I'm just tossing out wild guesses at this point since I've been unable to find any clarification

on this subject. It would have been much easier for Nikon and the consumer to have a small

extension cord to convert the SD-8 plug to an SD-8A plug. The SC-16A "looks" like that

extension cord but looks can be deceiving.

• 1 year later...