AF ED 80-200 f/2.8 D - push-pull lens

yann_r.

I'm an amateur photographer who's planning to go to DSLR. I'm still comparing

bodies and Lens. (I haven't choose between Nikon or Canon yet, but the D200 has

got my preference).<p>

I'd like to know if the *old* <b>AF ED 80-200 f/2.8 D</b> push-pull Nikkor lens

is still worth it. Used ones are quite cheap (so to say).<br>

Thanks for sharing your experiences, photos and/or links appreciated.

The pump-action version slips if the lens is held at any angle other than horizontal, and does not have a tripod collar. It is a lot of lens to hang unsupported from the camera body. The newer two-touch AFD is better optically and mechanically, and comes in two flavors - with and without a tripod collar. The late model AFS version is significantly sharper, but twice as expensive.

What Edwards says is that this lens has zoom creep. I used to have the even earlier pre-D version. Both of those are optically the same as the 80-200mm/f2.8 AF-D with tripod collar that is still available new. Optically they are all fine, but I prefer to have a built-in tripod collar.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=000nBZ

I have the 80-200mm 2.8 AFD ED two ring version w/ tripod collar and I find the collar quite useful. All the 2.8 version are pretty heavy lenses and the tripod collar really comes in handy. If budget allows, I would go for the two ring version with collar.

Warning, be careful if buying the two ring version used. I see used versions going for more than you can buy a new one for on the big auction site.

The slippage issue is real but a lot depends on the sample you have. Mine is quite tight and only slips if I stand the lens vertically. This is a pretty heavy lens and with the body mounted on a tripod there is a lot of stress on the lens flange. There were a couple of aftermarket brackets (Kirk,?) to help with this. These sometimes show up on the used market.

If you use a polarizing filter a lot, this lens is not a good choice since the front ring rotates when focusing. The later models do not. Also, this lens has been described as having the slowest autofocus of any of the Nikon AF lenses. If that's important to you, the newer models are faster especially the AFS.

Personally, I like this lens and if you find one in good condition at a fair price it should be a good value.

Good luck, Yann.

• 2 years later...